Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Double poly, double adj phb?

Old 08-11-2007, 04:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double poly, double adj phb?

I have a double adj, double rod ended phb from SJM. It works fine but it's starting to rust because of no powdercoat and it's extremely noisy at slow speeds over bumps. Yes, it's installed correctly. I already greased it but it didn't help. I think it's because of metal to metal contact on the bolt location. Does somebody make a double adj, double poly phb? Also is the upper phb relocation kit worth having as far as stronger?

Last edited by Ryanmgaspard; 08-11-2007 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a adjustable spohn poly phb and I dont really like it the bushings dont seem well made like umi's. I have the rod/poly lca's by umi and they are great much better bushing then the spohn. I am confident that a umi rod ended phb wont make noise if torqued correctly I will prob get 1 b4 long. As far as double adj poly all you need is one adjuster? The relocation is basically to fit dual exhaust so you shouldnt need it.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should NEVER grease a teflon lined rod end. Regarding transferring noise, it doesn't matter which brand x's you choose if it is a QA1 XM series rod-end. A rod end doesn't make noise unless it is worn, rod-ends transfer noise i.e. road noise etc easier, not create noise.

Regarding finish, it should be painted to the color of choice, do not leave it bare-metal. Powdercoated materials does not mean a component cannot rust, it protects the base metal.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SJM said it.
If it's not adjustable in the middle like some of the vendors sell it's a solid piece. If it's a bare metal other than aluminum, rattle can it and you should be good.
Rod ends (of the type you should use, XM series or better) do not need greased. They will transfer a bit more road noise to the chassis. But it shouldn't be excessive in this scenario (rod ended LCAs will transfer a good bit more). poly end pieces are readily available for this application.

The PHR brace is an interesting piece that helps reinforce the PHR, putting multiple bends in it (from my understanding) is introducing a brace that has already started to buckle. You can use it, and lots of people have with no problems, but I wouldn't.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
I have a double adj, double rod ended phb from SJM. It works fine but it's starting to rust because of no powdercoat and it's extremely noisy at slow speeds over bumps. Yes, it's installed correctly. I already greased it but it didn't help. I think it's because of metal to metal contact on the bolt location. Does somebody make a double adj, double poly phb? Also is the upper phb relocation kit worth having as far as stronger?
I'm in the same position. The UMI is a quality piece, but I have the same annoying low speed bump noise (every time I pull out of my driveway for instance). It bothers me. I've even considered lengthening my stock PHB and putting in 1LE bushings.

I kinda wish I had went w a poly/rod combo so articulation was still there...thats what I don't like about poly/poly (lack of articulation).

I have my ride height where I want it now...so just a correct lenght (like my lengthened stock idea) or single adjustable will work 4 me.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did paint the bar when I got it. It still started to rust on the ends though. It has made noise from the start. I'm not degrading the SJM phb but it's just too noisy for me. I like the fact that I can turn the whole bar and move the car without taking it off. I found one made by BMR for $135. I believe it's double poly, looks like it. I'm assuming chromoly is stronger and lighter?
http://www.lmperformance.com/515/9.html

http://www.performancepartsoutlet.co...panhardrod.htm

I don't know if it's a sponsor or not but it is on there too, just a different picture.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For record, ours are 4130 chrome-moly…there’s quite a few misnomer’s regarding material differences. For simplicity and the stress involved with these suspension pieces in discussion, it makes absolutely no difference if one is using 4130 chrome-moly or mild steel i.e. 1020. We do happen to use 4130 material but not for reasons that enhances performance that the customer sees in any way.

Pure axle loading...4130 chrome-moly or mild steel... Given the same material thickness and diameter, both will deform the same rate and amount due to the modulus of elasticity number being the same between materials. The weight also is going to be the same due to the material density being the same.

I'm not going to lecture differences between materials. I can tell you BMR also makes a very high-quality double adjustable rod-ended component. There will absolutely be zero differences in noise, vibration transfer etc between ours or their products.

Double rod-ended components perform best period. It has been the consensus on the forum that most folks don't mind double adjustable PHR noise; many seem to feel that the PHR didn't affect noise transfer as much as double adjustable lower control arms.

Performance as mentioned is best with double adjustable rod-end components… anything else will not perform as well nor have similar weight benefits. My suggestion to you since you may not care for the additional road noise that a rod-ended component brings, stay away from any rod-ended components and stick to non-rod-end components all together. BMR offers very nice non-rod-ended components.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for clarifying for me.

Search this Thread