Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch and Aluminum flywheel F-Body owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 clutch and Aluminum flywheel F-Body owners

How is the drivability on the street with the lighter alum. flywheel? Does it chatter at all, is it hard to take off from a stop, what are your general impressions? Do you like it?
I’m going to get the LS7 clutch kit and don’t want to add all the weight so I was wondering if the lighter flywheel was still street friendly. My car is a daily driver.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

I'm pretty sure the LS7 clutch needs to be matched to the LS2 flywheel ..

.. And you wont notice any difference with the lighter flywheel
Old 08-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000taws6
How is the drivability on the street with the lighter alum. flywheel? Does it chatter at all, is it hard to take off from a stop, what are your general impressions? Do you like it?
I’m going to get the LS7 clutch kit and don’t want to add all the weight so I was wondering if the lighter flywheel was still street friendly. My car is a daily driver.

I'm going with the Luk Pro gold kit that comes with aluminum flywheel.... the Luk pro gold clutch setup is the oem LS6 clutch.... It's 659 if you go through autozone and autozone claims LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Launching!

I know I need an LS2 flywheel for the LS7 clutch, but there are aluminum options. I don’t want an LS6 clutch because I plan on more Hp soon and the LS6 would have trouble holding the power I have now. I just want to hear from F-body owners with the LS7 clutch and aluminum flywheel. I want to know how it drives on the street and how they like it.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

subscribes......
Old 08-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000taws6
I know I need an LS2 flywheel for the LS7 clutch, but there are aluminum options. I don’t want an LS6 clutch because I plan on more Hp soon and the LS6 would have trouble holding the power I have now. I just want to hear from F-body owners with the LS7 clutch and aluminum flywheel. I want to know how it drives on the street and how they like it.

Why would you think an LS6 clutch would have trouble with what you have now??? You dont have that much power....I dynoed almost identical numbers and currently have an LS6 clutch (stock on 02 f-body ). I raced it numerous times at the track and it holds up great....Thats why i'm putting one in again......and not because my current one is fried.....My trans is being rebuilt so since its down and halfway worn, might as well throw a new one in with an aluminum flywheel too
Old 08-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Launching!

There have been numerous post on the factory clutches LS1/LS6 giving out with stock or near stock hp levels. Like I said in the previous post I plan on doing power mods soon (mild heads/cam around 425rwhp). I am already planning on going with the LS7 clutch and I am just undecided on a aluminum or iron flywheel.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the Clutchmasters Stg. III clutch and their aluminum flywheel a $1500 setup... For road racing the aluminum flywheel is great! If you plan on more of a street/strip car go steel...

My car is a DD and I personally have no issues with it... I've had it on there for going on 3 years now... There are positives and negative to having an aluminum flywheel...

You lose torque but your engine revs much quicker

When you turn the key to start your car you barely even have to tap the ignition as it starts right up because it has less of a rotating mass making it easier to start.

While driving, and you punch it, you have great response...

When taking off from a light, you'll most likely either bog down, or spin the tires like crazy. It's much harder to launch with an aluminum flywheel.

I would imagine since you have a lighter flywheel you would gain gas mileage but that's just a theory of mine...
Old 08-13-2007, 01:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

honestly, i can see an aluminum flywheel being a negative when drag racing, if you have street tires, but everything you mentioned, throttle response, quick revs, etc, would be a plus when drag racing. id say if you have DR's or slicks, it would make launching an M6 easier when you have 3.42's.

my car is a street/strip car, but im going with the aluminum flywheel when i get my LS7 clutch, and i figure if it turns out to be more of a hassle than good, ill take a day and drop the tranny and swap out flywheels and sell the aluminum for more than i pay for the steel......
Old 08-13-2007, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Wouldn't having an aluminum flywheel put the rotational weight back in line with the stock setup. The pressure plate and the flywheel spin together so if your pp is heavier than stock and your flywheel is lighter than stock, then they balance out to almost even, maybe 2 lbs lighter than a stock ls1/6 setup. Not a big difference if you ask me. Now if you already have the ls2 clutch then there will be a difference. Then you ask yourself was the ls1 clutch and steel flywheel too light compared to other cars with 300 hp. Why did GM opt for a heavier flywheel on the ls2/7?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the responses guys. I wasn't thinking about the PP spinning with the flywheel. It won’t be much of a difference at all then. I think I will go with an Al flywheel because even if it is bad for drag racing I don't drag race much and I like all of the pluses associated with the Al.

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch and Aluminum flywheel F-Body owners