Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

est. LS6 Intake Install time

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default est. LS6 Intake Install time

I will be installing an LS6 intake on my car and wanted to know if I will be able to get it done in one night or if I should wait till next weekend to start it, I was planning on doing it this weekend but the parts wont be here till monday, so whats your advice?
Old 08-11-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just the intake takes like an hour or 2 to swap out. Its simple.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

maby an hour or 2. it took 1.5 hours, and about 3/4's of that was grinding the ribs off the bottom.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not hard but what's the hurry? What happens if you accidently break/need something and have to run to the parts store? I'd just wait until the weekend and take your time.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take your time. expect about 3 hours
Old 08-11-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I'm just gonna wait till next weekend then, the reason I wanted to know how long is because I got called out by a gsx and were gonna run on monday night I was planning on having this installed by now, but oh well I'll just run him without it
Old 08-11-2007, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, better wait. Chances are you'll break an oil pressure sending unit and need to buy a replacement anyway, lol.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bww3588
maby an hour or 2. it took 1.5 hours, and about 3/4's of that was grinding the ribs off the bottom.
You did this to keep the stock coolant lines, right?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can pull my intake off in <30 mins now. First time around I spent almost 3 with a bit of time taken to flatten the ribs under the intake. The only thing that will require a bit of care is the "lift and pull" of the vacuum hose that is on the wrong side of the oil sending unit. Tug too hard and you end up joining the broke my sender club. Just a little care and finesse is needed to get it up and over.

I'd also be careful with removing the throttle cables from the link bracket. It's not the actual connection to the throttle bracket, but an anchor piece on the intake before the throttle body. I busted mine quite easily. The plastic gets real brittle there for some reason.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by melchoir
Yeah, better wait. Chances are you'll break an oil pressure sending unit and need to buy a replacement anyway, lol.
Since the pressure sensor is only about $20 I would buy a new one and have it available. You will need a big socket to remove and install it.

Tip.

Cut plastic wiring covering in 1 1/2 strips and wrap around the bolts to hold them up while you install the intake - makes the install a lot easier.

And visually memorize the hose connections on the back side of the manifold -it's all by feel when you reinstall them as you can't see what you are attaching too.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by melchoir
God I don't see how people break this thing. I had a ground issues after my H/C install & my intake had to be removed a total of like 4 times(also tried to install my Lingenfelter intake but had wrong fittings, figured that out after I had the bitch bolted down ) & never broke mine.

If you take the time to remove the hoses & sensors from behind the intake & be watchful when removing it you'll be fine.

Rubberbands are you friend also. On reinstall put in the rear 2 bolts on each side. Pull them up till there isn't really any threads stickin thru the bottom & then string a 2 rubberbands on the bolts(1 for each set of 2 bolts). This will keep them from fallin down into place & will make the install MUCH easier.

I also put a small pillow over the fuse boxes & lay there so I can watch behind the intake as it is goin back in. Just don't go shoving it back in there & you'll be fine. Go slow & when it appears it's far enough back, set it down & try to see if a front bolt will start threading. If it does your good to go. Pull the rubberbands off & the bolts should drop right down basically ready to start threading. You might need to so some gentle wiggling to get them all in place, but by goin at it a little slower you shouldn't have a issue with the oil pressure sending unit.

Follow the same slower careful attitude when reinstalling the hoses & sensors behind the intake. You should be able to reach around behind there & guide it thru to help keep from breakin stuff.

All it takes is a couple extra minutes of being careful & not just goin at it like a shade tree mechanic to keep from having extra expenses. If for some reason your oil pressure sensor breaks you will need a 1 1/8" socket. Possibly a really deep one depending on how much of the plastic top is left. Thread the new one in hand tight & then use a cresent to tighten it a little more, but again be careful not to break the new one tryin to get it in too tight.