LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cam help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam help

i am now looking at doing a MILD cam swap. i dont want anything big at all, just a little bigger than stock. the reason for this is that 1) i have manifolds so a big cam isnt gonna help too much 2) i would like to use my stock springs and rockers for now, and 3) i would like to keep a little low end torque. this is kind of an odd cam selection because most guys want to throw the biggest thing in there they can, but i would like to throw about the smallest thing in there that i can, but bigger than stock. im thinking maybe not much lift but a little more duration will help keep my stock springs alive. i also dont want to rev any higher than i was before (5800). any ideas or is this a stupid idea in the first place?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
i am now looking at doing a MILD cam swap. i dont want anything big at all, just a little bigger than stock. the reason for this is that 1) i have manifolds so a big cam isnt gonna help too much 2) i would like to use my stock springs and rockers for now, and 3) i would like to keep a little low end torque. this is kind of an odd cam selection because most guys want to throw the biggest thing in there they can, but i would like to throw about the smallest thing in there that i can, but bigger than stock. im thinking maybe not much lift but a little more duration will help keep my stock springs alive. i also dont want to rev any higher than i was before (5800). any ideas or is this a stupid idea in the first place?
I don't think you will gain much or be happy with a cam swap as you describe. If you define MILD as minimal lope and good drivability, lift will get you there better than duration and overlap. Unfortunately, more lift means more valvetrain loads so different springs, and retainers are needed. Better-than-stock rocker arms are also pretty much necessary. Throw in some decent pushrods and a tune also.

If you are willing to spend that kind of money, you can get some significant gains.You would need to have a custom cam and valvetrain parts done for you. There is a short list of folks that I know that could help you. This isn't the place to look for them, however.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the crane 227 cam in my car and it drove like stock, but it ran hard as hell for how small the cam was. You will need new springs on any cam you put in other than the stock once since the stock springs are barley good enough for the stock cam. The crane 227 + new springs and a mail order tune would give you a decent gain. Some 1.6 rockers would definatly help you out even though stock ones will work with that cam.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot to add, I'de also call up speed inc they have a cam called the "caddilac" cam that is made for cars just like yours with stock exhaust manifolds that will idle and drive like stock.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

ok thanks guys, like i said maybe this isnt a good idea than
Old 08-12-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
i would like to use my stock springs and rockers for now
You cannot use stock springs for ANYTHING other than the stock cam.

It amazes me how many people still don't know this.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

even with minimal extra lift? how are guys getting away with running 1.6 rockers than?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

I've run 1.6 gmpp rockers w/ stock springs (for several years actually)

my fave small cam is the LPE 211/219 but it does require a spring swap
Old 08-12-2007, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lazy stock lobes. Springs are not just about lift. Really with 1.6 rockers on a stock cam people SHOULD step up to LT4 springs.

The only cam I can think of that might gain you lowend and would work with stock springs would be a stock b-body cam, but I really do not think it worth the effort.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fast
I've run 1.6 gmpp rockers w/ stock springs (for several years actually)

my fave small cam is the LPE 211/219 but it does require a spring swap
how high have you reved it? because ide think that if the stock springs were gonna fail or have valve float, it would be at max rpm. just wondering if youve ever reved it to 5800 with the 1.6's

what is the best way to get LT4 springs? ive looked at their website but couldnt find them
Old 08-12-2007, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

5800? LMAO iirc 6200
I don't remember what we had the shift points set at
car ran low 12s all day long and went on many long trips w/o problem

I bought a set of LT4 springs and just never put em in
Old 08-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Darn.

I was hoping someone would talk you into the LT4 hot cam kit -- $570 at Summit Racing. Includes the valve springs as well as 1.6:1 roller rockers. It's advertised as 218° intake, 228° exhaust at .050 lift with 112° lobe separation, total lift of .525" intake and exhaust. Compares to 202°/207°, 116°LSA and .450".460" lift for the stock F-body pieces. That sounds to me like enough differences to cause some significant improvements in performance. (It's also something I'd like to do on my lump but getting the darn thing on the road is going to come first...)

I acknowledge, and appreciate, that some on this board (hi, Dwayne!) don't care for the LT4 hot cam but I'm thinking as a basis for a mild street setup it would be a good start and with everything but gaskets etc for one price it's not too spendy, imho.

You'll definitely need to upgrade your tune for this much of a change.

OTOH I'm curious what's keeping you from getting rid of those iron exhaust manifolds in favor of some headers; it's one of the more basic mods and something you'll definitely want to do before you get into serious improvements.

Note I speak not from experience but from my internet research. I encourage others to quarrel with my reasoning, here.

Cheers -- Gary
Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

I was wondering if any of the shortie headers would clear your strut towers (falcon like an early stang in suspension design?) also
looks awful cramped in the sig pic

Last edited by fast; 08-12-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

yea trust me if i could get headers to work i would. however, it would be almost imposible, and if it is, the only option is customs. even then they would not be equal length or nothing like that, more like a tri y configuration. plus it makes the motor look it came in that model so for now im sticking with manifolds.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z48LT-1
Darn.

I was hoping someone would talk you into the LT4 hot cam kit -- $570 at Summit Racing. Includes the valve springs as well as 1.6:1 roller rockers. It's advertised as 218° intake, 228° exhaust at .050 lift with 112° lobe separation, total lift of .525" intake and exhaust. Compares to 202°/207°, 116°LSA and .450".460" lift for the stock F-body pieces. That sounds to me like enough differences to cause some significant improvements in performance. (It's also something I'd like to do on my lump but getting the darn thing on the road is going to come first...)

I acknowledge, and appreciate, that some on this board (hi, Dwayne!) don't care for the LT4 hot cam but I'm thinking as a basis for a mild street setup it would be a good start and with everything but gaskets etc for one price it's not too spendy, imho.

You'll definitely need to upgrade your tune for this much of a change.

OTOH I'm curious what's keeping you from getting rid of those iron exhaust manifolds in favor of some headers; it's one of the more basic mods and something you'll definitely want to do before you get into serious improvements.

Note I speak not from experience but from my internet research. I encourage others to quarrel with my reasoning, here.

Cheers -- Gary

Even besides my opinion on the HOT cam the springs in that kit are suitable for the LT4's light weight valves but not for the LT1 heavier valves, yes guys use it and swear those springs are fine but then again if they knew what they were doing they would have probably made a different choice to start. That cam is also going to have to rev MUCH higher than he wants too.

If we can talk you into springs the Crane 210/224 or the little Lingenfelter cam mentioned would be my top two recommendations and even then you should probably move that self imposed rev limit up a little.

Maybe a little late with the engine in that and sounding as tight as it is but you can see a little gain from porting the manifolds. Just keep it reasonable and don't make them thin.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Even besides my opinion on the HOT cam the springs in that kit are suitable for the LT4's light weight valves but not for the LT1 heavier valves, yes guys use it and swear those springs are fine but then again if they knew what they were doing they would have probably made a different choice to start. That cam is also going to have to rev MUCH higher than he wants too.

If we can talk you into springs the Crane 210/224 or the little Lingenfelter cam mentioned would be my top two recommendations and even then you should probably move that self imposed rev limit up a little.

Maybe a little late with the engine in that and sounding as tight as it is but you can see a little gain from porting the manifolds. Just keep it reasonable and don't make them thin.
ok lets say that i will rev to 6000 or a little bit more, would you think the hotcam would be a good selection, or still to much top end?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

No the HOT still needs to rev higher yet. and like I said the springs are NOT enough that come in the kit.

If you want to do this cheap maybe consider keeping the stock cam but giving it some 1.6 roller rockers and LT4 springs, that they will work fine for.

There are a lot of guys out there giving up ET to weak springs and not even knowing it, sometimes power just starts to fall off a little too soon, not a sudden and obvious problem that anyone would catch.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
No the HOT still needs to rev higher yet. and like I said the springs are NOT enough that come in the kit.

If you want to do this cheap maybe consider keeping the stock cam but giving it some 1.6 roller rockers and LT4 springs, that they will work fine for.

There are a lot of guys out there giving up ET to weak springs and not even knowing it, sometimes power just starts to fall off a little too soon, not a sudden and obvious problem that anyone would catch.
ok thanks caprice for the good information. so you think that the 1.6 with springs will move my power range a little more to top of the rpms? that is sort of what im trying to acomplish since i might be going with 3.73 this winter and i figured i wont need all the low end torque. so is there anyway i can get just the LT4 springs from gmpp? it seems like you have to get them with the cam and 1.6 rr
Old 08-12-2007, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Somewhere on this forum there is a good part numbers list and the part numbers for just the springs and retainers are there. They are suprizingly cheap.

Honestly just springs would probably have it make more topend power and yes the 1.6s would have a slight positive effect there as well.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

i couldnt find it. does anybody have the part number or know how to find the list capricemgr is talking about?