LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Est. Horse Power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Est. Horse Power?

Whats up guys, Im in a 95 z28, A4 need some info on what kind of numbers I will gain. Any help would be cool. I know this is in an old thread but I didn't see these mods only, all posts had more or less

BBK TB Ported
Moroso CAI
TB bypass
underdrive Pulley kit
airfool

What should I expect with these items..Stock other than this stuff

After I get my headers im looking to ad the Fuel pressure reg.

Last edited by Fbodynightmare; 08-12-2007 at 01:41 PM. Reason: add text
Old 08-12-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

the only thing that is really gonna help is the CAI. the TB is only gonna be worth something if you have a wild motor, not much help on stock engines. the bybass and underdrive will help some but probably only a couple horspower. the airfoil is useless. the LT1 is rated at 275 flywheel horsepower, so AT THE MOST you could be looking at almost 300, but that is looking at the high side. rear wheels will be a lot less. that is also if everything is in good running order and doesnt have too many miles. headers will help a lot. none of this opinion is based on personal experience, just what ive heard from other people.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodynightmare
Whats up guys, Im in a 95 z28, A4 need some info on what kind of numbers I will gain. Any help would be cool.

BBK TB Ported Almost pointless on a stock engine
Moroso CAI
TB bypass
underdrive Pulley kit With the cam driven waterpump these stand to offer little gain and will compromize charging.
airfool Again nearly pointless and I think all the good aftermarket TBs have them built in when you eventually make enough power to warrant a bigger TB.
What should I expect with these items..Stock other than this stuff

After I get my headers im looking to ad the Fuel pressure reg.

The regulator IS NOT A POWER MOD, if you think it is STOP buying parts right now and start learning before you waste more money on useless junk.

Of the 7 mods you listed here 4 are either not worthwhile at this level or are just plain not worthwhile. I strongly encourage you to stop looking at catalogues and start researching things better. You need to understand that just because some 20yo kid says a part is "great" but has no proof does not make it a good part. Egos make a lot of guys push their mistakes onto the next guy rather than being a man stepping up and admitting it was a mistake.

Take the money I hopefully just saved you and put it towards a good catback behind the headers(great mod), tuning, gears, maybe a little suspension. Then start to think about things like a torque converter like a nice 9.5" Edge or Yank 2800 or higher stall, they really do drive quite well and make a big impact on performance.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Default Its not a mod.

Yes I know the regulator is not a mod.

I forgot to mention , I'm not sure what sorta power or performance to expect out of my exhaust :
Stock manifold & Y pipe, no cat, and 3" from the y back with a dynomax bullet dumped over the axle.

The headers are next along with gears.

Last edited by Fbodynightmare; 08-12-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Default thanks for the response.

Falcon, yeah The CAI, and BBK tb is installed already I knew it wouldn't give up much more power but I like them anyway. I noticed a small diff. in its response.

Really im only looking for around 300 horse, its a dd.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

if its not a mod, why are you adding it? if that is the exaust you have now, you will be looking at a little more hp. however, no one can tell you how much hp or tq u are gonna make, we can only give you a broad range. the only way to be sure is to get it on a dyno. besides, i wouldnt be worried about hp, id worry about ET and the seat of the pants feel. if you cant FEEL a difference, is it worth it?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fbodynightmare
Falcon, yeah The CAI, and BBK tb is installed already I knew it wouldn't give up much more power but I like them anyway. I noticed a small diff. in its response.

Really im only looking for around 300 horse, its a dd.
probably the reason you can feel a difference in response is because the bigger TB flows more air at part throttle but about the same as stock at WOT. that is what makes them more touchy when in part throttle range but almost useless at full power demands
Old 08-12-2007, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Default fuel pressure regulator

I was thinking about adding it but until im making more power I realize I prolly don't need it I just heard with it you can see hp gains. I don't consider myself an lt1 expert actually its my first LT1 car so any info is good info same with critics

thanks
Old 08-12-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

its ok man, everybody makes noobie mistakes. i suggest you read the sticky about noobie mistakes before you do much else. hope me and caprice havent been to harsh
Old 08-12-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't waste money on airfoil... Get full exhaust, some gears, decent stall, CAI...probably, and if you can afford it, get a tune. Looking at 275/280...300 on an auto ...doubt it
Old 08-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned

I would say get some gears and a stall. Long tube headers help free up the exhaust. I ran 11.002 on the stock throttle body. After the headers think about a cam change.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Your looking at like 125-130 RWHP, white Z28s with stock firebird wheels lose power because people like you buy them, give it to a real man and it will make 500 RWHP.

Just Kidding Mark

By the way, www.ws6.com gained 15 HP or so with the Fuel REG, i know it was due to a leaner mix with it, but it still did gain power, a tune would do the same though.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

There are EFI 502's out there using that 48mm TB..and getting damn good results.
That should tell you something..
Old 08-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Banned

I have seen dyno sheets posted on here with before/after results on Air Foil's on bolt on cars, and one showed a 2-3 hp gain.
Not sure if I believe it though.

I have also heard countless reports of Ported TB's gaining 4-7hp on bolt on cars with crisper throttle response.
This I do believe.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by burnzilla
I have seen dyno sheets posted on here with before/after results on Air Foil's on bolt on cars, and one showed a 2-3 hp gain.
Not sure if I believe it though.

I have also heard countless reports of Ported TB's gaining 4-7hp on bolt on cars with crisper throttle response.
This I do believe.
read my 3rd post. i thought it was common knowledge about why bigger tb have better throttle response. its not a matter of more power, they are just letting more air in sooner
Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
read my 3rd post. i thought it was common knowledge about why bigger tb have better throttle response. its not a matter of more power, they are just letting more air in sooner
The dyno graphs I have seen showed power gains all the way through the powerband.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

15hp~ The Bypass is around 8 and the CAI is a few more. The TBody makes up that extra small bit. Even on a stock motor, it'll help, I don't care what anyone says unless they have graphs proving it.

Quick Reply: Est. Horse Power?