Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My motor is screwed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My motor is screwed

It had a ticking noise for 3 days, I thought it was a broken rocker arm because i've had that happen before, yesterday i pulled the valve covers to check and they were fine, the ticking was coming from the middle of the motor. I added half a quart of oil and went driving, it was running fine regardless of the ticking, out of nowhere the car just died and I just shifted in to neutral, luckily I was able to turn left into a friends neighborhood(with no power steering).

The car wouldnt restart, I bout killed the battery trying to start it 10 times, it sounded like **** trying to crank, I got a friend to come help me push it down the street to his house, I let it sit for a while and started it back up, it actually fired up but barely, its now making a SQUEAKING noise internally along with the tick and the motor is surging. I turned it off and took off the serpentine belt, fired it back up and its doing the same thing and beginning to knock really hard.

Spun a bearing I think.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a spun bearing my friend.....a very similar thing happened to me about 6 weeks ago.....i thought the same thing...sounded like a bent pushrod, collapsed lifter, or rocker arm that went bad....even possibly the timing chain....so i instantly pulled water pump and timing cover and the valve covers to see if any of these things were broke......mine still ran and drove as yours did......fortunatly i was at work and had access to a lift and drained the oil and found that the oil looked like a bass boat paint job due to all the metal shavings in the oil.....oil was very black and only had about 650mi on it........car still sits in the garage......
Old 08-14-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, how unfortunate. The ticking noise was pretty loud and sounded like it was right under or in the intake manifold. At least now I know that sound means death... I'm interested to see what my oil looks like, thats a sure sign.

Corvette LS1 is on the way