Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

People with after market hoods...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People with after market hoods...

When you painted your hood, did you blend the nose and fenders too? All the shops I've gone to have said this is the right way to do it. Otherwise it probably won't match perfect.

Did you just paint the hood or do the blending?
Old 05-23-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: People with after market hoods...

The shop I had paint mine DID NOT blend thr bumper and fenders. In fact... They told me that any "really good" place shouldn't have to blend. However, I know nothing about painting cars. Thats just what they told me. They matched it perfectly though. Looks factory.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Fiery Features Director

I had the entire car painted when I got my hood
Old 05-23-2003, 10:53 PM
!Dial-up Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the hood blended into the fenders and bumper although silver and pewter are tougher to match then a color like red.

Justin
Old 05-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Teching In

I blended mine and wish i had not.. I personally did not think it was worth the money... OH well.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Teching In

I am a first time user but i have an aftermarket hood painted dark blue. They matched it perfect to my car without haveing to blend. Also said any good painter wouldn't need to blend.
<font color="blue"> <!--color--></font>
Old 05-24-2003, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

it really depends on the color... If its a darker color, its easier to match, pewter being the most difficult on most cases..
Old 05-24-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Blended here.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:13 AM
Gev
TECH Addict

Mine is blended too. I just saw it at the shop. In fact, the fenders and the hood loko better quality than the GM paint. I am thinking about getting the whole car painted by this guy.

It is VERY shiny and looks way deeper than the factory paint.

It looks kinda weird though now lol. The front end is beautiful while the rest of the car is not so. Maybe a little polish/wax will fix that "problem."

Anywho, get them blended. It looks better. You wouldn't want there to be a stark difference when looking at the hood, or that others can tell it's aftermarket (for people who don't know).
Old 05-25-2003, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

it really depends on the color... If its a darker color, its easier to match, pewter being the most difficult on most cases..
i disagree darker colors are actually harder to match but the hardest color to match is meallic candy coats although the silver is hard to match its not the color thats hard but it is getting the flake to lay right a black car is very difficult to match espacially after it has a little fade to it. but to adress the orginal question A GOOD PAINTER SHOULD BE ABLE TO MATCH YOUR PAINT IN ALMOST ALL CASES this is not to say that the possibility does not exist of a mis match espacially if you have metallic flakes in your paint. but look at it this way to pull your whole front apart and repaint will probaly cost you approx 800-1200 at any reputable painter and then you have to deal with overspray issues but to paint the lone hood should only cost you at taht same painter about 150-200 is therefore you could swrew up 5 times without paying as much and if you get to the end and decide you dont like it or if the food ever fails in some way you can still put back your stock hood as opposed to if you painted the front end you might as well sell your hood cause its ovbiusly not gonna match not . and we all know that aftermarket paint for the most part does not hold up as well as factory pain due to the differences in application. so if it was me which it will be soon cause im headed down the same path id buy your hood and trial fit it and let it back un painted for about a month then have them panel paint it and see what you got if you dont like it at the most ud be looking at another 200 (which id expect if you told the painter to over but materials so he wouldent have to re buy paint he probaly charge you likre 50 bucks to re shoot it) this way you can always reverse it . this is the method i use with all my mods cause we all know thingsd dont always turn out how they are expected to. o yea if your looking for a neat interrior job have em paint your door and window switch bezzles anong with your raqdio bracketing i took the chance and if done right like mine was it really improves the look of the car
g\l shoot me a mil if you have any other questions
-john
Old 05-25-2003, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

o yea fiber glass will always look a bit different (bit more orange peel) so be prepared any who doubt this just compare a corvett to a t\a and try and deny it vetts dont have a bit of orange peel in the base coat than youll find on a car that is not fiberglass
Old 05-26-2003, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Mine's blended as well.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What my brother is planning on doing is since he already has some key scratches and everything ont eh car he is going to wait and buy the hood then get the whole car repainted at the same time that way everything will match. You don't have to worry about blending it or anything.

Quick Reply: People with after market hoods...