Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VFN Fiberglass Hood Weight Reduction Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VFN Fiberglass Hood Weight Reduction Questions...

I've been looking at the VFN Fiberglass Hood for a weight reduction mod:
"'98-2002 Stock Flat Pin On Hood. Price=255.00 Weight=12 Ship: Truck Freight.
'98-2002 Stock flat Bolt On Hood.Price=355.00 Weight=18 Ship: Truck Freight."
- http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm
And I have a few questions:

1. How much does the stock Z28 hood weigh?
2. I have a black car and in the pictures it looks like the hoods are already black, so would I still have to get it painted? If so, roughly how much would it cost to get painted?
3. With the pin on hood do I just have to pin the front down or will I need 4 pins for the front and the back?
4. If I get the pin on hood can I remove the front latch assembly that's in front of and below the air box? Or does this assembly serve as some sort of support peice also?

I've always liked the race look of a pin on hood and I heard somewhere on here that the stock hood weighs ~50lbs, so I think $255 is well worth dropping ~40lbs off the nose of my car. What do you guys think?
Old 05-24-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: VFN Fiberglass Hood Weight Reduction Questions...

TTT
Old 05-26-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

No one on this site has a VFN hood?
Old 05-26-2003, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

I think the stock hood is more like 30lbs.
The black you see on the hood is gel coat and although it looks good now it will start to cloud up if you don't get it painted you can color match it to your car for around 150 bucks.
Not sure about having 4 pins or 2 mine is a pin on and I only use 2 pins in the front and my back hinges for the rear support. About removing the front latch assembly I wouldn't see why you couldn't remove it but thats JMO. Some general info for you I noticed that I run a bit cooler with my fiberglass hood. Good luck hope some of this helps
Old 05-26-2003, 08:56 PM

I've been toying with the idea of using the flat stock pin-on hood. I won't be using pull-ring style pins, but Dzus fasteners, for a more finished look. As far as only using four, I will be doing four on each side, plus those in the front.My only reason for not getting it yet, is I'm not sure how durable it is for daily use. Would it flex and bow too much, and eventually warp?
Old 05-27-2003, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies. So no one knows the how much a stock Z28 hood weighs? I'm trying to see if it would be a good weight reduction mod.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:33 PM

I had been told that it is around 50lbs.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the VFN stock bolt-on TA hood, it weighs 18 lbs. My stock TA hood weighed 48 lbs. So I got a 30 lb. reduction, and yes the hood comes with a gel coat of dark blue/black. I have not painted mine yet because my car is Navy Blue Metallic and the hood as is blends in with the car especially at night.

The fit of the hood is very good, not perfect but good enough for most people. The edges fit flush with the car body and any rough edges can be sanded smooth when the hood is painted. I've had mine for a couple of months now, and so far it has not warped after being out in the hot sun quite a bit. The hood works great with the latch stuff from the stock hood. It both releases and latches with no problems at all. With both hood shocks on, the hood literally flys off the car when you raise it up.

I will get the hood painted soon, but first I'm looking at doing the Dzus fasteners (2 or 4) on the front edge of the hood. You can remove the hood latching mechanism, one or both of the hood shocks, hardware, cable and lose another 6-7 lbs.

Good Luck!
Old 05-28-2003, 04:30 PM

Would you have any detailed pics? Details such as what the underside of the hood looks like, would be most appreciated. I am seriously looking for info on making a decision. Thanks
Old 05-30-2003, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

sawedoff. i dont mean to scare you away but my dad bought a fiberglass hood for his '68 camaro and it fit when they put it on but now it sort of bows up in the middle. it looks pretty funky if its on the trailer but when driving around it's not very noticable
Old 05-30-2003, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the help. I was kinda' wondering if these hoods are without alot of reinforcement. I had 65' Shelby that had that same problem of bowing up in the middle.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

sawedoff, I'll try and snap a few pics Sat. morning and I'll e-mail then to you. I'll get both the topside and under the hood for you!

Randy
Old 05-30-2003, 05:44 PM

sawedoff, I'll try and snap a few pics Sat. morning and I'll e-mail then to you. I'll get both the topside and under the hood for you!

Randy
Thanks, I'd appreciate it a bunch.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

I purchase and am in the process of having a VFN SS Hood installed on my 99 SS. I had the hood painted same color as car ( navy blue) blended with the front fenders and had front bumper repainted. The hood looks just aweson and factory. It is my understanding that I will save 27 pounds or so with this hood. The hood is a complete bolt-on and I did not use hood pins. However, I lost my air intake from hood and will come up with something new.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a tip:
Don't paint fiberglass panels right away.
They take a long time to cure fully, even though they seem stiff when you get them.
Put the part/parts on the car as they will be installed and drive them around that way for a while so the final curing is done in the same position and enviornment that the part will see after painting. Painting seals the fiberglass and prevents total curing which can lead to problems with both the paint and/or fiberglass in the future.

Good luck
Dave
Old 06-01-2003, 04:11 PM

Just a tip:
They take a long time to cure fully, even though they seem stiff when you get them.
Put the part/parts on the car as they will be installed and drive them around that way for a while so the final curing is done in the same position and enviornment that the part will see after painting. Painting seals the fiberglass and prevents total curing which can lead to problems with both the paint and/or fiberglass in the future.

Good luck
Dave
How long would I need to do drive around with the hood, in the Texas summer heat? The temps get well over 100 degrees, so I imagine that would really speed up the cure. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:44 AM
TECH Regular

I purchase and am in the process of having a VFN SS Hood installed on my 99 SS. I had the hood painted same color as car ( navy blue) blended with the front fenders and had front bumper repainted. The hood looks just aweson and factory. It is my understanding that I will save 27 pounds or so with this hood. The hood is a complete bolt-on and I did not use hood pins. However, I lost my air intake from hood and will come up with something new.
I can't wait!
Old 06-02-2003, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

Just a tip:

Good luck
Dave
How long would I need to do drive around with the hood, in the Texas summer heat? The temps get well over 100 degrees, so I imagine that would really speed up the cure. Thanks for the help.
TTT... I live in Texas as well, and would also like to know.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

VFN has told me in the past to wait a few weeks, so I'd say 3-4 weeks.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

So tempting...
Hood 30 pounds
Aerospace Brakes 38 pounds
KMember/A-arms etc 48 pounds
HALS 8 pounds
150+ pounds off the nose where it counts most and it'll look great!

Chris

Quick Reply: VFN Fiberglass Hood Weight Reduction Questions...