Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(LS1/LS6) ported Weiand vs modified LS2 intake comparison w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default (LS1/LS6) ported Weiand vs modified LS2 intake comparison w/pics

No dyno numbers as of yet & it will be some time before the LS2 intake set up sees the dyno. I have a Wide band O2 sensor to make sure that the car does is not running lean in the mean time. Thought it might be interesting to note the differences found when comparing the two. See pics for clarification.

Am changing the Weiand intake on my LS6/AFR/Comp cam set up to a gutted, smoothed, & modified to fit LS2 intake.

-Weiand had been opened up to 80mm w/ a 78mm ported TB, mouth of head runners were modified to receive the Weiand runner.

-LS2 intake was gutted (removed the 3 internal towers), all internal ridges were removed, & material was added to allow smooth air flow into each runner. Bottom was removed for access & then re-connected. Work on intake began before I bought it.

-Mouth of LS2 internal runner is approx. 1/4" longer & 1/4" wider than the mouth of the Weiand runner. The exit size of each (Weiand & LS2) (exit side means where the intake runner meets the head) is almost the same w/ the LS2 aprox. 1/8" narrower & 1/4" longer.

-Inside of gutted LS2 intake is approx. twice the size of the Weiand inside.
LS2 runners are longer slightly & enhanced by the ramp added to each internal mouth.

-MAP sensor connection is by hose out the back of the LS2 intake, IAC was removed as was the EGR. Mount was made for the TPS.

-Accufab 90mm tb used on the LS2 & Katech "o"-rings were used to allow fitment of my stock LS1 fuel rail & Accel injectors to the LS2 intake. An adapter plate was used to mount the Accufab tb to the LS2 intake.
Attached Thumbnails (LS1/LS6) ported Weiand vs modified LS2 intake comparison w/pics-weiand-ls2-1.jpg   (LS1/LS6) ported Weiand vs modified LS2 intake comparison w/pics-weiand-ls2-2.jpg   (LS1/LS6) ported Weiand vs modified LS2 intake comparison w/pics-weiand-ls2-3.jpg   (LS1/LS6) ported Weiand vs modified LS2 intake comparison w/pics-ls2-inside-area.jpg   (LS1/LS6) ported Weiand vs modified LS2 intake comparison w/pics-weiand-inside-area.jpg  

(LS1/LS6) ported Weiand vs modified LS2 intake comparison w/pics-weiand-exit-runner-next-ls2-exit-runner.jpg  
Old 08-14-2007, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am very interested to see what the difference in gains are. I am doing an LS2 swap on my LS1 and wanted to know if i made the right decision. I am going to have the intake ported also.I am also going to use the LS2 injectors and fuel rails.I am just hoping i made the right decision.let us see what you come up with.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Will do; keeping in mind that it may be some time before it sees a dyno. It's now installed & needed longer intake mounting bolts than did the Weiand. Had to do just a bit of trimming on the posts that align it to the heads. Throttle body 90mm "o"-ring needed to be shimmed out past its' seat because my spacer plate for the non-stock throttle body does not slide into the throttle body seat as it appears that the stock assembly does. Only things remaining are to see whether or not removing the IAC will be an issue & to check for a lean condition.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should have my ported LS2 and PTM 90mm TB on and tuned by the end of the week. I will post results when I get it all tightened up
Old 08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i will be waiting to see the outcome.

Quick Reply: (LS1/LS6) ported Weiand vs modified LS2 intake comparison w/pics