LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel Pressure ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure ?

Plesae explain how higher Fuel Pressure increases performance. What pressure should one be at w cc-502, 58mm TB, mildly p/p heads, gasket matched to intake, Ram Air, 30lb SVO, A-4, LT w 3" exhaust, no cats, 3.42 and suspension upgraded. Pressure is adjusted by the fuel regulator and not the PCM, correct?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't tried on a LT1 yet, but my TPI with AFPR responded to higher and lower pressure. Everyone here says the LT1 doesn't, but I don't believe it. The higher pressure is going to increase the injector flow. Thats where everyone says the PCM will compensate pulse width. But if you have a tuner, then just put in 1 more # over whatever you're running. If I had $60, I'd pick up the one for my car. Plus, you know you have a new regulator then if it's already old
Old 08-14-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula350
I haven't tried on a LT1 yet, but my TPI with AFPR responded to higher and lower pressure. Everyone here says the LT1 doesn't, but I don't believe it. The higher pressure is going to increase the injector flow. Thats where everyone says the PCM will compensate pulse width. But if you have a tuner, then just put in 1 more # over whatever you're running. If I had $60, I'd pick up the one for my car. Plus, you know you have a new regulator then if it's already old
Wow.
Although not an expert, I will try to explain what I do understand.
The PCM adjusts the fuel flow to 14.x during closed loop operation, no matter the fuel pressure or the size of the injectors. It must be told the size of the injectors fairly accurately, and is adjusted with a tune.
During open loop operation, it uses the PE tables and the MAF table, which must also be adjusted with a tune. I have heard of cases where a slightly higher fuel pressure increased power without a tune.
In order to regulate pressure, you will need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't really see how higher fuel pressure would gain you power. On a stock tune, if anything a lower FP would gain power because the stock tune is too rich at wot.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure ?