Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pick my cam for me

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pick my cam for me

Was gonna go 408 D1, but deal fell through so new system on its way. Same motor though other than dished pistons. Was gonna be 9.5 CR for S/C, will give a brief summary since I know some will ask.

To those familiar with Bandit1, its will be his system.

408 forged iron block
dished pistons, ported 6.0 heads yielding 8.5 CR
LS6 intake ported 80mm T/B - so far?
Cam - help me! info to come

PTS turbo kit
80GTS turbo, turbo blanket, all hot lines wrapped
4" custom mandrel bent exhaust system
A2W intercooler, rated 1500 hp
Snow meth injection
All the other goodies of coarse

Fuel - leaning towards dual intank system
braided lines, boost ref reg, rails, hot wire, 60#, etc. You got the idea!

Drivetrain
4l60-E, vig 3200, trans cooler, etc
moser 9, 3.50's, chrome molly d/s

Where I'd like your opinions is on the cam. It was best described to me to choose it last. In which is where I pretty much am. Not looking for a race car, but a street car/DD is the goal for now. My theory on this is that with such a big power combo, 408/turbo, is it really neccesary to sacrifice driveabilty, fuel mileage etc for a few more ponies? Is it that much different? I thought so until I dug up a bunch of old threads last night and got some different opinions! Right now I have 2 cams to slide in and both comp.

224/228 .581/.588 114 LSA, I got this for initial plans of going stock cubes and just so be it bandit ran this cam and made good numbers too!

230/238 .580/.592 115 LSA, I thought that this would be a better choice for the larger displacement but is it really necessary? With the smaller cam he got pretty fare mileage, would there be much difference in mileage in the bigger one? I think it would make better top end, but I only plan to spin to 6500 anyways. The smaller would probably be better for under the curve. He said at 6600 it kept pulling hard with 14psi+. I know it would probably be best to talk to a pro and get a custom one made. This isn't an option for me, so please don't reccommend. I only say that bc I don't think it would make that much of a difference, especially for the extra costs. Between these 2 its practically free and the smaller is already proven good. Tell me what ya think, thanks guys!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Nobody hey.................. I'll guess I'll just have to settle for the 224/228??????????? Gotta be someone out there? Thanks!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll throw out a few suggestions.

Cam 236/230 XER on 115 duration

Dump the snow meth kit and buy a www.alkycontrol.com.com kit.

For a street car I'd run an air to air intercooler. (expecially for meth)

4L80 tranny to take the power

Huge fuel system.

Easy 800-950rwhp and tq daily driver but cost some dough.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I'll throw out a few suggestions.

Cam 236/230 XER on 115 duration

Dump the snow meth kit and buy a www.alkycontrol.com.com kit.

For a street car I'd run an air to air intercooler. (expecially for meth)

4L80 tranny to take the power

Huge fuel system.

Easy 800-950rwhp and tq daily driver but cost some dough.
Thanks, I always thought that reverse splits were better for turbo's but I read up a bit and was convinced otherwise. I guess it really boils down to the specific application its going in. From my knowlege, I understood if you have really good flowing exhaust you could use a traditional split, in which I will have. Anyways, as for the a2a, I thought a2w intercoolers were alot better? I agree on the 4l80-E, once I turn up the boost or blow the current one thats whats going in. Not screwing around with the 60-E's all of the time. Double intank proven to support up to 1000rwhp, I am pretty sure thats what I am going to use. Easier and better for the street too I think. As for the power, yes definelty 800rwhp minimum. This kit pushed over that and not sure if I ever will but think if I wanted to I could see over 900rwhp. Thanks for the sugestions
Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Websy21
Thanks, I always thought that reverse splits were better for turbo's but I read up a bit and was convinced otherwise. I guess it really boils down to the specific application its going in. From my knowlege, I understood if you have really good flowing exhaust you could use a traditional split, in which I will have. Anyways, as for the a2a, I thought a2w intercoolers were alot better? I agree on the 4l80-E, once I turn up the boost or blow the current one thats whats going in. Not screwing around with the 60-E's all of the time. Double intank proven to support up to 1000rwhp, I am pretty sure thats what I am going to use. Easier and better for the street too I think. As for the power, yes definelty 800rwhp minimum. This kit pushed over that and not sure if I ever will but think if I wanted to I could see over 900rwhp. Thanks for the sugestions
A2W for the track where you can ice it down. A2A for the street.Don't waste any $$ on a 4L60.An auto will use alot more fuel than a M6.I ussually go bigger than duel intank Walbro's. I'm just here to give advise from setup's we've already built
Old 08-15-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
A2W for the track where you can ice it down. A2A for the street.Don't waste any $$ on a 4L60.An auto will use alot more fuel than a M6.I ussually go bigger than duel intank Walbro's. I'm just here to give advise from setup's we've already built
I appreciate the advice, I am jsut trying to understand it, LOL. So would the a2w not work on the street than? I don't like the fact of hacking the bumper and this would work great for that. I jsut thought a2w was better, I know for the track to ice em but thought they'd still perform good on the street/DD? I don't want to put this car together to have screamin high IAT's but with meth and a2w intercooler I thought it would great! Help please! I would still like someone's opinion on which of those 2 cams if ya could?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We initially used our blower cam on this turbo Corvette. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=26

The video will be back up as soon as we get a chance to do so.

Here is our cam spec's. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=679 Bob
Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
We initially used our blower cam on this turbo Corvette. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=26

The video will be back up as soon as we get a chance to do so.

Here is our cam spec's. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=679 Bob
Thanks Bob, I ahve actually looked at that cam and did some thread searching lastnight and it popped up a couple times. I even think that I know the specs off hand, 230/242 around .600 lift 115LSA. It sounds pretty mean too, which I like. I just not too sure, I know its easy to change cams but why if something is proven. I read a good thread on KP, with stock cubes he baselined with a cam around 228/228, farely lower lift like .560-.570 or something and went to your cam. He never put it on the dyno but after he played with it, he said it had more on top, obvioulsy, and managed to trap a little lower. Well, it not rocket science, I believe this is gonna be true with a cam in turbo applications to an extent but is it gonna make that HUGE of a differnece to offset mileage and driveabilty. If your going all out racing then abvioulsy its a no brainer. Between the 2 cams I have they are the same give or take a bit in regards to split, jsut more agressive. I jsut thought with the bigger cubes that it would perform alot better. For the money and my goals I don't think its ideal to consider another cam other than those 2 bc I think either will work. I woldof jsut loved some feedback between the 2 and maybe a couple explanations why. If someone has a cam close to or has tried a couple different cams in the same vehicle it would be great to hear differeneces. Thanks again guys, every bit helps
Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

So what are your goals, 800rwhp through a 4L60E, 145 traps in a full weight car, and excellent driveability? Pick 2.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

with 800 rwhp the 4l60 will last to the next street corner. definetly go with a large front mount don't worry about cutting up your bumper it is never a problem. Are you gonna modify the PTS kit to accept a T-6 based turbo otherwise you will not reach your goals because of backpressure with the 408.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
So what are your goals, 800rwhp through a 4L60E, 145 traps in a full weight car, and excellent driveability? Pick 2.
LOL, only if we could have it all hey. Not accomplishable though! Main goal really is a the most reliable setup I can have with this combo. While having room to expand in the future if my goals overcome me and the track becomes more apparent. I know than things will have to change but while doing it best or right at the moment I think is the correct way to save down the road. Not sure if I will run the stock trans or not for now. This will be a winter project wo I have some time on coming up with the funds, if its there I will go 4l80-E. I am getting one wether its now or later, if the stocker go's than its save up or charge the card for one, LOL. The car will most likely be full weight, for the meantime anyways. Yes, I would like to achieve some decent traps while I am at it but its not the main concern for the time being. So main goals would be power output, which for myslef either way will please me for now bc it will be more than I am used to. I should get over 800rwhp easy. Between those 2 cams, the last guy ran the smaller one and was succesful but I thought that the larger of the 2 would be even better. For a 408 a 230/238 isn't really all that big. **** people run those cams on stock cubes.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 52172
with 800 rwhp the 4l60 will last to the next street corner. definetly go with a large front mount don't worry about cutting up your bumper it is never a problem. Are you gonna modify the PTS kit to accept a T-6 based turbo otherwise you will not reach your goals because of backpressure with the 408.
I knew tha was coming sooner or later. The last guy who had never ran into that problem. Yes, it would match up better with a 88mm but this will do fine for me for now. He said it kept pulling hard past 16psi at 6600rpm. I know the stock 4l60-E is garbage and I won't even be running close to 800rwhp through it. I am going to be getting used to the new power at alot lower setting. Probably 8psi or so and runa temp gauge to be extra careful. If it go's it go's. ITs not gonna be a track car being hot lapped. I know anything over stock is a problem for the 60. I might not even run it yet, really its the least of my concerns. As fpr the a2w, I erad up alot more on it and guys like MM and others(forget) run them on the streets with no problem. As long as you aren't throwing boost after boost into it. One guy said even than he only say 5-10 IAT increase from doing that than immediatley came back down after a bit. I also think I will run a rad/fan inline to help out as well. Running a little bit of meth won't hurt either, have it come on at 5psi or so. With this combo the last guy made 750rwhp at 10psi with some AFR's inline. He never had it dyno'd again after that. So I don't think my goals are out of line. I wouold be more than happy with 750 plus. I can always get a t88 later in future if it becomes the limiting factor. the same debate when I was going to go with the D1/F1, LOL. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I'd run a size appropriate cam for that stroker and then if necessary down the line go more turbo if you end up with too much backpressure at the turbo.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Ok in another words run the larger one than, thanks
Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

I think the t-4 based 80mm turbo with the 408 and a cam with run into backpressure problems around 650 rwhp you might not be able to take it much higher than that. That kit was designed for factory cubes or 364ci not a 408. You might want to sell the turbo and have the kit modified to work with a t-6 based exhaust housing turbo like a sx80 or larger or something along that line.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Well, yes it is a concern of mine but it should be awhile before that power level gets old for me if that's its max. I know that the guy before me had it over 800rwhp with no problems though, but I am sure I won't be running it that hard anyways. If it comes to it than I will upgrade later. Thanks for your input!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

no problem
Old 08-15-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Anybody else? Cam one or two