Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Airdam and Radiator pics - not a typical post

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airdam and Radiator pics - not a typical post

OK, not your typical post. I am looking for some pics of under the radiator and airdam from any camaro/firebird. Did a search and found a few but not rally what I was looking for. I have a project car that is a 74 VW Karmann Ghia with a water cooled Subaru engine in the rear. The radiator is mounted up in the front tire well. There will be a sheetmetal on all sides of the radiator so the air has to go thru the radiator and not around it. And the exiting air will be ducted back under the car. I am trying to gather as much research on cooling as possible before I cut up the front end of my car. I want to add a vertical airdam to the underside of the car and scoop the air into the radiator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

do not vent the air under the car, you want it out the sides or top. under the car will cause lift and cause poor handling at speeds.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 PM

I would say that 99% of cars that have the radiator up front the air excapes under the car. Or the engine compartment which the air has to travel under the car in the end.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

I would think you would want the air damn just forward of the radiator to deflect incoming/cool air up into/thru the radiator. In the second pic what is directly behind the fans, looks like a duct to me, where does it go? Also what is directly in front of the raditor, is there a opening or slot for air to come in? You are correct, on most cars the hot air exits under the car, what "lift" there may be is negated by the vehicles weight and should not be of concern.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 AM

Right behind the fans is where I cut the metal out for the air to escape. The hole that you are talking about is a small hole that is approx. 3" x 5" is for the horns. They will be relocated. But the front bumper sits right in front of the hole. I am not shure how much air I would get because of the bumper. I am tempted to plumb it all up and just check my temp gauge just to see how it cools now with just the horn hole.

On a Camaro/Firebird does the radiator tilt forward or backwards?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Pics of the engine please. EJ20? EJ22? EJ25?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by flat_iv
On a Camaro/Firebird does the radiator tilt forward or backwards?
They lean or are angled towards the back of the car. Can you post a pic looking down just forward of the radiator? I'd like to see what's infront of it at the base of the radiator. You may have to cut a slot for incoming air. You could probably fab an air dam up that would work using a front spoiler off of a 67, 68 or 69 Camaro. All of the resto parts houses sell them and they are cheap, about $30.00.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:22 AM

Yeah, that is what I was planning on doing is cutting a slot under the car and using an airdam to force the air into the radiator. Right now the radiator is mounted vertical. I have a little room that I can tilt back.

The motor is from a 1995 Subaru Legacy, EJ22 with 57000. (137 hp, 137 torque). Its not any where the HP you guys are making but it more that doubles the original HP of the factory engine. Plus the car only weighs 2000lbs. The intake manifold and the water maniflod has been rotaed 180 deg. And the alternator has been relocated. Did all of this because I didnt want to cut the firewall.

This pic is taken at a weird anngle. The radiator lines are not as close to the exhaust as it looks. Still have to paint the exhaust and use some heat wrap.

Last edited by flat_iv; 08-16-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by flat_iv
Yeah, that is what I was planning on doing is cutting a slot under the car and using an airdam to force the air into the radiator. Right now the radiator is mounted vertical. I have a little room that I can tilt back.

This pic is taken at a weird anngle. The radiator lines are not as close to the exhaust as it looks. Still have to paint the exhaust and use some heat wrap.
Awesome!!!!! Now all you need is the turbo kit.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 AM

After I get this one proven I will probaly drive it for a year or so and then sell it. There is a vanagon\subaru forum and they are buying engines with 160,000 miles and still paying $800.00 to $1000.00 and that is just for an uncut wiring and engine. That does not include a shortened oil pan, exhaust, rewiring the factory harness or any of the misc. issues.

Elite, I will have to post a pic later in fron of the radiator. But there is room for some cutting and modifications.

Quick Reply: Airdam and Radiator pics - not a typical post