View Full Version : Removal of lower A arms

Cop Car
08-15-2007, 08:52 PM
so i cannot get the back bolt out of my lower A arms that connects to the K member. the front ones just came out hitting them with a hammer, but we have used a 20 lb sledge on the back ones and they are not comming out, one of them came out part of the way, but thats it. i really need some help fast, thanks guys

Demonicbird00
08-15-2007, 09:05 PM
try putting an oil based lubricant on it. like liquid wrench or something. its prolly rusted in there pretty good. also instead of using a 3/8 rachet try using a 1/2 breaker bar for the 21mm bolt.

hope that helps
brandon

mrr23
08-15-2007, 09:08 PM
have fun. sounds like the bolt is rusted into the metal sleeve in the bushing. the only thing that i can think of to work is a hacksaw. get it between the k-member and the arm and cut the bolt. other than that, a torch.

Jon5212
08-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Get some PB Blaster...and if you have access to air tools, use an air hammer on it. :)

revtime
08-16-2007, 03:07 AM
I got out my big flat blade screwdriver (you know the one that doubles as a prybar.) and my 2lb hammer placed the flat blade of the screwdriver on the end of that bolt and beat the living shit out of it till it gave up. PB blaster helps the process along but most of it is just brute force.

Chevy053
08-16-2007, 12:02 PM
I had the same problem with mine that had been on there for 120K miles.

I went and got one of those really pointy air hammer attachments and ground it down so it was not so sharp. Then I put the nut on the end of the bolt just enough so that the air hammer would not slip off the end of the bolt. Then I just went to town on it with the air hammer which eventualy got them out.

Prior to that I had tried sevral things that involved a big sledge hammer.

Cop Car
08-17-2007, 03:18 AM
well we beat one, and on the other burnt it out and cut the k member... bastards are out though, that sucks. now to buy a new rubber bushing..