Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing Swirl Marks.... Need Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Removing Swirl Marks.... Need Tips

My car is a 2002 Camaro SS Navy Blue Metallic, I dont think it has ever been put through a polish or anything of that kind. I tried Meguiars #9 which is a Swirl Remover and it didnt work well after two passes and it dusted like crazy . I heard alot of Menzerna products and I been wanting to try them but I want to get some tips before I make a purchase of some products. I was thinking of the Menzerna Intensive Polish and then follow with the Final Polish. Then I saw their Micro and Nano Polish so I kinda thought about trying one of them and then follow with the Final Polish.

What do you guys think ? There is soo many products out there. I tried some Poorboy's wax and I love it on my car so I thought about their products too.

What products do you guys use when detailing and what process do you guys use ???
Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I originally used Mothers products by hand and if you take the time, the results are great. However, if things are done by hand, you can't really fully get the swirl marks out. You can mask them, but they'll be back eventually. Waxing by hand produces some amazing results, but polishing and swirl mark removal is tough. Not too long ago, I went and bought a PC Orbital buffer with Tropi-Care's swirl mark removal and the results were simply outstanding. It took out every single swirl mark that's ever been there since I first got the car. If you want to cut out the swirls a little more aggressively, use a buffer with 3M's Swirl Mark Remover, good up to 1500 grit I think.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use Tropi-Care on my NBM & it works wonders, the TC-8/TC-3 combo is great....

Old 08-15-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Unstang
I use Tropi-Care on my NBM & it works wonders, the TC-8/TC-3 combo is great....

OMFG!!!

Thats what I want my NBM SS to look like !!!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tropi-Care or Zaino are your best bets. I have used Tropi-Care with AWESOME results. I believe they are both Sponsors here also
Old 08-16-2007, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Man that looks nice. I've been using Zaino since forever and love it. I think I may give Tropi-Care a try.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

IMO, Tropi-Care is much easier to apply & remove, if you are using it w/out a machine. I haven't tried Z with a buffer, but I'm sure that would help...
Old 08-16-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Junkie

A PC random orbit buffer is your first step.

If that STILL doesn't do it, try a rotary buffer, er, well, I mean have a professional try a rotary buffer.

If that still doesn't work, there are a few pros out there who can wetsand the clearcoat just the right amount. I'd never try this myself, but there are individuals who can do this.

If that still doesn't work, repaint the car.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bboyferal
A PC random orbit buffer is your first step.

If that STILL doesn't do it, try a rotary buffer, er, well, I mean have a professional try a rotary buffer.

If that still doesn't work, there are a few pros out there who can wetsand the clearcoat just the right amount. I'd never try this myself, but there are individuals who can do this.

If that still doesn't work, repaint the car.

hahahah I like the last line......

But I need money and lots of it for that one.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Does the Tropi Care swirl remover dust ?????
Old 08-16-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does it dust? like leave the white specks all over you mean? if so then i think most EVERY wax does. It's been a while since i've used it so i'm pretty sure the Swirl Removal stuff leave's next to nothing behind. Tropi-care is great stuff.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Junkie

IDK about tropi-care, but the Meguiars professional line is "body shop safe," leaving very little dust to travel in the air. I know with many other cutters/polishes my eyes start tearing and itching sometimes.

You know, the product doesn't really matter THAT MUCH. Use the right speed, generate the right heat using the right pad, and you'll quickly learn how heavily tied success and method are to each other above the "product." My $0.02
Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 AM
TECH Addict

Smile

I was asking about the dusting because with Meg's #9, I was dusting like I was cutting wood .... Well maybe not that much but it will throw these little white dots all over the car.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default shiney

use a 3m rubbing compound for your light scratches... then go back over with... im sorry cant think of the name will go home and check unless someone else remembers... its in white bottle it was 10.99 at auto zone but they quit selling for some reason. then use the same brand liquid wax EASY to apply and looks fantastic. my paint had 130,000 miles on it and you would guess it had around 50. ill get the name an a lil and repost
Old 08-16-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with bboyferal... use a porter cable buffer with the right pad, the product is much less important. I tried dozens of products to remove scratches by hand and barely lightened them with hours of work. The 20 mins I spent doing my hood on my black car made the car look BETTER than new, honestly. I used the Tropicare TC8 & TC3 combo with yellow & orange pads respectively.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

No dust with the TC line, it is very easy to work with.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Tropi-Care TC-8 dusts, but then so does Menzerna Intensive Polish, Meguiar's #8, and pretty much every other product I've ever tried.

But, if you user a Porter Cable 7424/7336 polisher with good foam pads (like the ones sold by Tropi-Care), you can keep dusting to a minimum by simply keeping the pads moist. They don't have to be wet, but a couple spritzes of water from a spray bottle before each section you polish will keep the dust to a minimum.

Tropi-Care has a good howto on their site, or you can look at the one I wrote in the Hall of Fame at the top of this section.

-Mike
Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Tropi-Care TC-8 dusts, but then so does Menzerna Intensive Polish, Meguiar's #8, and pretty much every other product I've ever tried.

But, if you user a Porter Cable 7424/7336 polisher with good foam pads (like the ones sold by Tropi-Care), you can keep dusting to a minimum by simply keeping the pads moist. They don't have to be wet, but a couple spritzes of water from a spray bottle before each section you polish will keep the dust to a minimum.

Tropi-Care has a good howto on their site, or you can look at the one I wrote in the Hall of Fame at the top of this section.

-Mike
Your are right on here.

The light spritzing on the foam pad will minimize the dusting of Swirl Cutter and occurence of micro-marring on the surface.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Meg's #9 has a very light cut to it .. if you have anything but very light swirls, it won't get the job done.

Try some Tropi-care TC-8, or some Menzerna IP and FP ..

if you are looking to stay with Meg's products, then grab some #80 ..

Like Mike mentioned . keep the pad slightly moist, either with some distilled water, or a couple of spritz's of QD from the same manufacturer whose swirl cutter you are using.

What are you using for a pad ?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

I like 3m heavy duty rubbing compound on a rotary, work carefully!, than you want to hit it with a medium foam pad and imperial glaze, than a nice wax. I like cherry flash from Malco or 3m paste wax

Quick Reply: Removing Swirl Marks.... Need Tips