Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A2W intercooler help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A2W intercooler help...

Alright, I'm getting ready to purchase the rest of the components for my A2W setup and I wanted to have someone give me a sanity check to make sure that they are what I need to be getting. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've decided that I'm going to go with a single front radiator type heat exchanger that is 24 inches long, 12 inches tall, and 1 inch deep. That should be simpler than the other setup. Also, it should weigh less which would be nice. I can add fans to the seperate radiator, but I'll have to see how much room I have to mess with once I get in there with the A/W intercooler to see if they will fit. The pump for the setup has to be mounted at the lowest point in the system so It will probably get mounted after the radiator, but before the ice box on a line.
I've added the picture below. Also, I've added the link to the radiator I was looking at. I'm looking at making around 850 rwhp in the end hopefully, but we'll see since my 12 bolt and th400 will give me more drivetrain loss than the other setup. Car will be driven on the street more than the strip, but no long trips.

Seperate radiator: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Water...spagenameZWD1V
Attached Thumbnails A2W intercooler help...-intercooler.jpg   A2W intercooler help...-intercooler-pic-5.jpg  
Old 08-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty good., but I would move the blow off values before/infront of the intercooler. No point in cooling the charge if it is going to be let out to the air.

Keith
Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have the right idea but your parts are in the wrong order.

You want to have the pump AFTER the fluid/ice resivor but BEFORE the IC so the IC see's the coldest liquid possible.
You want the heat exchanger AFTER the IC but before the resivor so it can disipate as much heat as possible before it goes back into the resivor.

it should be like this:

Resivor------pump----AWIC----heat exchanger----back to resivor.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too saw that rad on ebay and was thinking about it. Let me know how it goes if you go with it. I too was wondering if you would have the room to fit a fan on that rad? Your setup looks pretty close to the way I was thinking of doing it, good luck!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

I just looked at your link to that heat exchanger. I don't have experience with that particular one but I can tell you that you sould have the INLET to the heat exchanger (after it leaves the AWIC) be on the bottom so the fluid has to fill the entire unit before it leaves. This will make the liquid stays in there as long as possable to insure the most heat transfer.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1290
Looks pretty good., but I would move the blow off values before/infront of the intercooler. No point in cooling the charge if it is going to be let out to the air.

Keith
I can't move the BOV's because the A2W intercooler I bought already has the flanges for 2 BOV's welded onto it. It's a pretty pimp setup and will look badass, although I'll have to cut and box the radiator support to make it fit. I need to buy another BOV but the same place that sells that radiator sells a chinese knockoff that looks identical to my Tial BOV but is dirt cheap compared to another tial. should work fine for me.

Originally Posted by alwaysinboost
you have the right idea but your parts are in the wrong order.

You want to have the pump AFTER the fluid/ice resivor but BEFORE the IC so the IC see's the coldest liquid possible.
You want the heat exchanger AFTER the IC but before the resivor so it can disipate as much heat as possible before it goes back into the resivor.

it should be like this:

Resivor------pump----AWIC----heat exchanger----back to resivor.
I wonder if I could use a blue holley electric fuel pump lying around as the water pump. I wonder if it would flow enough. I've included a picture of it below. That would keep me from having to buy another pump, like a bildge type pump. I've also included a picture below of the fittings that are on each side of the A2W intercooler. The inlet/outlet fittings for the water and the 2 inch fitting from the turbo. My question is, should I leave those fittings like they are (water fittings) or should I have a shop weld AN fittings on there so I could use braided line and AN fittings. I hate hose clamps, that's why.
Attached Thumbnails A2W intercooler help...-bov.jpg   A2W intercooler help...-inlet-outlet-fittings.jpg   A2W intercooler help...-pump.jpg  
Old 08-16-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

anyone know where to get a good ice box that will fit where my battery used to be? Ohio forced induction sells one for $225.00, but I am trying to price shop a little bit and see if I can find a cheaper one since the ones for 03-04 cobras are way cheaper...but won't fit!!!!! if it's a non-sponsor or something, just pm it to me, thanks. Also, I just read that one of those bildge pumps only run about $50.00 and pump 500 gph whereas my little holley pump only pumps about 110 gph. Maybe I'll have to go ahead and pick one of those up, although my little holley pump seems way sturdier!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

About the fuel pump. I used to have a holley BLUE for my DP n2o setup on another vehicle that had a seperate fuel system running on carb pressure. I don't remember off the top of my head what the flow was @ 0psi so I can't say for sure if it will work for your setup. However if it was me doing it again I would leave the fittings as they are to save $ and just buy a new bilge pump instead.

I purchased a 35psi/15gpm pump from a marine/boat repair shop for $89.00 that came with all the fittings I needed. But ask yourself what you are going to be using the car for? Is it strictly 1/4mile or is it a dedicated street car or a vehicle that will be doing both. The answer to that question would determine what size & flow pump you should get and also the size of your resivor <---very important!

The pump I mentioned above I picked because the car was mainly going to be a DD with not much boost on the street but spending alot of time going down the 1/4mile. The goal then was to make sure the AWIC was able to see only fresh, cool h2o during the entire 1/4mile pass to ensure MAX power the whole run. I calculated @ flow rate that a 4 gallon resivor would be sufficent to handle that so I went with a 5 gallon fuel cell from jegs and including all the lines (3/4") to and from and the volume of the heat exchanger it came out to a little over 6 gallons of fluid total.

The two most important things to keep in mind and not skimp on are the quality of your heat exchanger and the volume of fluid your system will need.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Teching In

look for an aux water pump. they were made to push lots of hot coolant and run all the time. i was looking at some new and used bosch ones last night from $50 to $80. they are centrifugal type pumps so they have to be at the lowest point of your system. Should do the job.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

alright, after some research here's what I've come up with. I found a remote mount water pump that pumps 20 gpm (which equates to 1100gph). Is that too much flow? will that hurt my application, because that is more than twice the little bildge pump? It accepts 1/2 fittings and I can put 12 AN fittings on it and I don't have to run the little hose clamps that I hate. I'm trying to bullet-proof the system, that's why I don't want to run more rubber hoses and hose clamps. Here's the link to the pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-1...spagenameZWDVW

I sent an email to the guy to see if the pump will also pull water, because that can help to figure out where to mount the pump, and setup the system. As far as ice tanks/resevoirs go, the one they sell for the cobras are 11'' * 6 1/8'' * 6 1/2'' in shape and should fit right where the battery used to go. They are a satin finish, so I can weld the 12 AN fittings to them, which would help out because I wouldn't have to build y blocks from the tank to the A2W intercooler, since there are to inlets and 2 outlets on the A2W intercooler, and 1 outlet and inlet on most ice tanks. I've attached a picture of the tank to show what I was talking about. Thanks for the input guys...keep it coming. this is my first attempt at this so I'm trying to get the right parts the first time... for once.
Attached Thumbnails A2W intercooler help...-tank.jpg  

Quick Reply: A2W intercooler help...