Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Install question

I received my TEA heads this past Thursday and I have been working on getting them installed using jmX's website as a guide. I have already installed the new heads but now I have a problem with the PCV line that connects the valve covers and throttle body. Since my car is a '98 I had to order new center bolt valve covers to go with the newer style heads. When I started to install the new valve covers I noticed that they have different connections for the PCV lines. I thought I had everything to do the install, but apparently I need to order new PCV lines. Has anyone else run into this problem when installing 5.3 heads on a '98, and if so, do you know what parts I need to connect the PCV system.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:09 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Head Install question

This is what a stock '99+ PCV system should look like, I'm not sure what the 98's looked like.

http://www.ls1howto.com/infopics/stockpcvsystem.jpg

You could also just convert to the LS6 style PCV now if you wanted since you'll have to buy a PCV setup anyway. It'd only cost you about $50 for the cover and a plug.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just put a breather filter on the tubes and call it good. That's what I'm going to do. I actually just did the opposite of you, I installed 98 heads on a 99. All I did to get it started was use some 3/8 fuel line, and some of the plastic pieces from the stock application. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

jmX: I think I am going to do what you said and convert to the LS6 PCV system. I think that is my only choice since my passenger side valve cover does not have the rear connection for the PCV line shown in your picture above. I hope this will also help keep the oil out of my new heads. Your site has been a huge help in getting my new oil pump, ASP pulley, and heads installed. Thanks.

Malibu350: Are you not going to connect the two valve covers to the throttle body as the stock PCV system does? It is my understanding that if you just use breathers and do not connect some sort of PCV system that the motor will not function properly because of crank case pressure.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's what the breather filters are for, my friend ported his throttle body and didn't drill the hole for that breather so all he did was connect a breather filter to it to relieve the crank case pressure, all it does is just not inject it back into the TB/intake.