Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Vibration dampner pull off!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with Vibration dampner pull off!!

I am currently rebuilding my 69 Camaro with a 383 stroker. My question is I have the dampner puller on but when it gets to the point where it will come loose, I turn the motor. I have tried a wedge between the dampner and the block to stop the motor from turning over, then I can't get the damn thing loose. Any suggestions on how to get the stupid thing off without all this bull. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need help with Vibration dampner pull off!!

REMOVING LS1 CRANK PULLEY:

Disconnect Battery … Autozone has two different size gear pullers you can borrow. Use the smaller size 3 jaw puller for the crank pulley. Also, you will need a longer crank bolt. The bolt you need is a 16mm / 2.0 thread pitch and 120mm in length (the head of this bolt is 24mm). This bolt can be purchased from NAPA as P/N 2801-225. Price is $5.39. Also purchase 2 washers P/N 8071-035B. Aditionally, if you don’t have a 24mm 6 point ½” drive socket; go buy one. DON’T use a 12 point socket. It does not grab enough meat on the bolt head, and may round off the head as you are trying to remove the ‘Super Tight’ crank bolt. If this happens; YOU WILL have more problems than you would ever want to deal with!!

Sears sells this socket in a deep-well version made for an impact wrench. This is the best one to get. The impact socket is much stronger than a regular socket and will not distort.

On an A4 car, remove the 2 bolts that hold up the starter. Let the starter just hang by it’s wires. Better yet, wire it up out of the way. Put a steel pin such as a large allen wrench in one of the holes in the flex plate (flywheel). Turn the engine with your ½ inch drive breaker bar attached to the 24mm ½” drive socket until the engine stops turning do the to pin hitting up against the block. You will need about a 2 foot piece of pipe [and] your long ½” drive breaker bar to loosen the pulley bolt. In fact, I had to use both feet to loosen the bolt!

Once the bolt breaks loose, install the puller. As you use the puller, you will need to unscrew the crank bolt when the pulley hits up against it. Keep doing this until there are not enough threads left on the stock bolt to pull the pulley all the way off. Then install your longer NAPA bolt and pull the pulley the rest of the way off.

You will also need this longer bolt to start pushing the pulley back on the crank during re-assembly. The stock bolt is just not long enough, and banging on the pulley to start it on the crank is NOT the answer.

Hope some of this helps,
Ron
Old 05-25-2003, 07:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Need help with Vibration dampner pull off!!

I wrap a belt around the pulley and tighten belt with vise grips or put a long screw driver through the puller that can hold it from spinning.