Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS f body install thread, tips,tricks,pics,etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default APS f body install thread, tips,tricks,pics,etc.

How about we make this the APS install thread. Guys can post tips,tricks, what ypipes fit, if 480 trannies fit, what blow offs they are subbing,etc.
And can someone look over the parts list and tell me how many t bolt clamps and what sizes I need of them so can replace the worm clamps on most all the intercooler and intake pipes. I can live with them on oil lines and few things like that.

So who is starting their install pretty much right now? I am waiting on k member and possibly fuel system. K member is suposedly shipping out in next few days. Fuel system might need to wait for payday pretty tapped right now.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting mine tomorrow. I hope. Still need K member(which I guess is on back order for everyone, because no one has it). Be here at the end of Aug.
Got a new camera today so the battery is charging or I would of posted pictures already. Dropping tank tomorrow so I can send off the sender to get the double pumper. I'm also changing my H/C so I think I'm just going to drop the tranny and K-member to the ground and do everything on the ground then put it back up. Anyone know If I can put the Exhaust with the turbos mounted up and then bring the whole thing up in the car?
Can't wait. going to be a pain in the *** but fun.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I started an install only thread. Its great you are starting so soon. I don't feel like putting my car down until know I can put it back up within say a week timeframe. My car sat for years with some clutch and hydraulic problems and enjoying driving it again .It has 12,000 miles on it and its a 99!
I am also tempted to do cam and heads but think wait for next engine. Did you go with lower compression heads. If so you could maybe go to 10 or so but be careful those ringlands are weak in our cars.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I have AFR 225 72cc heads. and going with Gm MLS 7.0L LS7 gaskets. How can I up the boost without a boost controller? Do I need to change out the springs. I can't drive my car right now anyways. So I may as well start on it. Besides its going to take me longer than a week or so.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Those are the heads I want but huge overkill on the 346. If you are staying with those bet 205 are better. I am going with 408 to 454 and not really into installing the heads and my gt7 cam twice.

You can up boost cheaply with ebay boost controller for under 100 bucks. You can change out the tial springs to up boost also. Be careful gate springs might be better idea as you can toast a stock engine very quickly much past 8 psi. Of course with your heads another couple pounds should be ok. I would stay at 10psi not push it past that on stock non forged engine. If your engine is forged then disregard.
Springs are easy to change out in the tial gates. I have tial gate on my 97 talon.They work great. High quality.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh Kwikkar what are you using for tuning..? as you see in my sign have hptuners.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for starting this MY99TAWS6, very good idea. I just hope they make this a sticky since so many of us will be running this kit very soon. I wasn't able to get into the first batch but I'm on for the 2nd batch...can't wait! it'll be a good winter project.

right now I'll be only changing the head gaskets and cam. I'm running LS6 heads with 40 cometics so I need less compression lol. at least I have a forged 347 so 10+lbs here I come!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much are springs and aren't they set at 7.5 or 8 psi stock??? I'm using a local shop to tune my car.(buddy works there) They work with alot of turboed cars. I would tune it but I just dont have time and have a baby due in january. I have stock motor for now, but as for the 225 heads, I plan on getting a forged motor next year sometime so I may as well have a baddass set of heads already bought and paid for.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah Kwickkcar same with me. Have near stock motor no forged nothing and as said want the same heads for later. Just not going to bother installing them twice to get a bit more boost. You can buy the springs from anyplace that sells tial gates. They are pretty cheap and pretty easy to swap out or buy controller manual or whatever off ebay or something. turbosmart are good quality. I am getting eboost 2 for my 99.
Their manual boost controllers would be ok too. Just go up slowly and dont blow up the stock motor. I have seen and stll have some souvenir pistons with blown ringlands from buddies sts when he accidentally put thru like 15psi. It was real fast for a minute or so..LOL
Old 08-18-2007, 03:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you DIY guys planning on holding the engine up while the K-member is out and the oil pan is off? I'd like to use one of the engine supports that goes under the balancer, but I've never seen one that is short enough to use with the car on jackstands (not on a lift).
Old 08-18-2007, 04:35 AM
TECH Junkie

I recall in the APS thread someone talking about test fitting a UMI k-member. Would be nice to know if it will fit/work with this kit as well.

calongo - you might be able to use a 5th jackstand (truck stand or stand on blocks) to support the engine while you swap the k-memeber.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

well...guess ill be subscribing aswell.... my install will start as soon as i get that damn K-member.
is there anyone else putting this kit on a 402 or bigger besides Brains and i??
Old 08-18-2007, 06:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TNTramair
well...guess ill be subscribing aswell.... my install will start as soon as i get that damn K-member.
is there anyone else putting this kit on a 402 or bigger besides Brains and i??
I have a low comp 402 from LME,AFR 225'S 72cc's, l19 studs,Custom LME cam, My setup is for max effort thru a 4l80 and 9'. I also have the same combo going in a M6 setup and a 12 bolt. So we will see the outcome on both cars in the weeks to come! My system will go out for ceramic coating and tru duals out the back with cutouts

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 08-18-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

nice set up....cant wait to see the results!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

I cant wait to sell all the APS cars all done. We should have a APS shootout! LOL
Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Well I still might go 480 so be watching to see how the 480s fit with the kits.Good thing about autos is you don't need a two step and the turbos stay spooled up better between the shifts. Both good things. I also will be doing this on the floor or can I take the car and install the k member at the beginning rather than later on? The coud do that at shop. Do the rest at home. Also anyone planning on doing the aps fuel setup by the hole in hatch method.I think I will be doing it that way. Much easier if you ever have to get to the pumps in the future.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
I recall in the APS thread someone talking about test fitting a UMI k-member. Would be nice to know if it will fit/work with this kit as well.
I would also like to know if it works out!
Old 08-18-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will start putting on the kit in the next couple of weeks! I have a th400 so we will see??
Old 08-18-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I forgot about a wedding I have to go to tonight. I'll start SunDay. With pictures.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
I forgot about a wedding I have to go to tonight. I'll start SunDay. With pictures.
did you seriously forget or were u hoping to be ***** deep in ur project so u didn't have to go?

Quick Reply: APS f body install thread, tips,tricks,pics,etc.