Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

huh, tailgated

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default huh, tailgated

So I'm on my way back from the movies. About 5 minutes away from my house I am in the right lane, I see a crown vic in the left a little bit back. Hmmm when did I pick this guy up? So I slow down to make my right turn huh there is the crown vic. So the officer made a illegal turn..... ok.......... How close does this guy have to get to read my tag??!!!! Had to have been about 2 feet off my bumper, yes my tag light works, and yes the plate is a year old, pretty sure its clean and still has that reflective coating junk on it, def. not tag retirement time. Any case, I guess everything came back ok, cause he finally got off my *** and fell way back. What is this, semi-loud car at 11:45 at night harassment? I don't care if you follow me and want to run my plate, but don't make a illegal turn and then crawl up my ***!!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah who knows. he was just checking your tag out. making sure it was valid. I have had this happen before. it sucks and puts you on edge. but as long as you are not doing anything stupid then he will have no reason to pull you over. I hate when they do it. but what can you do.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I would have pulled mydamnedself over, and asked him if he needed something... I could have better (marginally, admittedly) **** on my mind than what the hell some officer is doing buried in my *** for more than a brief moment... Hell, maybe he's DUI and can't even see the car ahead of him for all I know...

I change lanes, move brake, WHATEVER, I don't like people too close to my car, no matter who they are... If they want to pull me over and talk to me, GOOD, pull me the **** over and grown men can sort out any problems or questions that need answers.

And 1FST99, does he need to be that close? I can read the tags off of cars 3-4 cars ahead without a problem...

Bad vision?
Old 08-18-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

back in high school I got this kind of attention (deservingly). Although the local cops where I'm from up north would follow you till you DID screw up and write you a ticket. Like not completely stopping at a light or sign, not using a turn signal,...ect. I used to pull in at the closest gas station, mini-mart, store, whatever just so that I could stop and either talk with them or force them to move on. I tried stopping on the side of the road once and they put the lights on and gave me a little harrassment lecture about how I was somehow wrong for pulling over like that.. haha... so, yeah, I look for a store or something... hehe..

Present day, I'm older and here in St. Aug, I was getting tailed a few times by SJ county sherrffs but, nothing that excessive (up on my bumper). They just tailed me like 2-3 cars away for a couple blocks and then turn off... maybe I was just paranoid or maybe they were just checking my tags and saw that I have no warrants, no tickets, no nothing in the past 6 years. It only happened a few times and now I dont ever get followed by them.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

brake check
Old 08-18-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I thought about it. I knew I wasn't going to get pulled over though, so I wasn't going to create any drama. I'm just pissed that he was that close to my car, and even though I threw my signal on and slowed down a lot to make the right hand turn, he felt the need to make a illegal turn from the left lane instead of moving behind me before the turn.

If a armadillo had run out or something, I probably would have gotten rearended, that boat of a car does not stop as quick as a fbody with upgraded brakes, thats the only thing I'm not happy about. I've never been arrested or even had a ticket in about 4 years that stuck, last moving violation I was accused of was in CA, so I know that doesn't show up.

Maybe the guy does need his eyes checked.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

we were at the '06 STARS show in Ft. Walton Bch. All the birds
were tucked in for the night at the parking garage. Well I had to
leave and go show a friend how to get back to the hotel. The
cop who was watching over our birds didnt see me walk in and
get in mine. He followed me for a 1/2 block and pulled me over.
He thought I had stolen her. It did make me feel good that he
actually paid attention when one of the birds drove away. While
he was checking out the info on the ownership, I just stood
there and laughed. He was very nice about it tho.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

We get the same **** here in P'cola. They'll come up to your bumper just shy of kissing you and hang out there for about a mile or so then decide to let you go or pull you over.

Cop or civilian it doesn't matter I'll give them a tap of the brakes as a warning to back off but of the continue either slow down to below the speed limit(ex. 55-40) or if it's a cop I'll pull over and ask if there's a problem but just not in those words!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Good posts...

Here in Miami, it's only happened once to me... Most of the time I'll have a cop tail me 3 cars away going about his way, and sometimes I don't even notice them, whether they are running my tag or just enjoying the view of a clean car on their way back home.

But that tailgating thing is bullshit... I'd pullover and talk to them "politely" if it goes on longer than a minute... If there's something they need to look at that bad, they can do it better outside the car.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Teching In

A guy I work with has a retired Crown Vic cop car. Still has the spotlight and everything on it. He follows people around just to mess with them.

Quick Reply: huh, tailgated