View Full Version : Need help with partitions in Windows XP

RyRy
08-18-2007, 12:48 AM
:cheers: Ive searched all over the windows help file and cant find what I need so Im turning to you guys hoping someone may be able to help.

So heres the situation:

So when my parents got their computer it was partitioned into a C: and a D: with a windows installed to the C:. the partitions have the following memory allocation:

C: has ~15GB
D: has ~105GB

Now as theyve been using it the C drive has filled up but the D drive is empty. I know the easy thing here would be to have them start saving things and moving files over to the D drive. They're not too literate when it comes to computers and this may be a problem. So what I want to do is either extend the C drive to take up a majority of the hard drive size (ie extend it to about 100GB or so) or delete the D: and extend the C:.

I basically want to make it as easy as possible for them and diskpart in DOS wouldnt work to do either of the above options. Can anyone help me out??? Please???

Thanks guys!
:cheers:

aliensRreal
08-18-2007, 01:46 AM
I have never done it but I Partition Magic or Acronis Disk something or other could probably do it for you.

See if you can shrink (or delete, if nothing is on it) the D drive and then add it to C.

RyRy
08-18-2007, 01:55 AM
Ive looked into Partition Magic but I was hoping theres a trick that wouldnt cost $70.

Apparently theres some files that cannot be deleted residing on the D partition which kinda throws a wrench into the works...