New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Tranz puking oil out the back????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Tranz puking oil out the back????

My buddy upgraded his rod bolts which included removing the oil pan, rear cover etc... He put it all back together and it puked oil out the rear upon startup, seriously like a quart in a matter of minutes. It was coming out between the rear of the block and the bellhousing. We pulled it all back apart, dropped the tranny etc... I personally changed the rear man seal (which looked fine) and determined that most likely the problem was that when he reinstalled it he tightened the rear cover bolts before the lower ones that go through the oil pan and pull the rear cover down onto it, therefore allowing a gap that oil could puke out. Anyways I tightened the bottom pan bolts first and then the rest of the rear cover bolts and buttoned it all up. At first it seemed the problem was solved, it ran great for 50 miles but soon after that it went right back to puking oil out the back. I have no clue what the problem could be. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine did that once after the shop tightened the horizontal bell houseing bolts before the vetrical back oil pan bolts. Mine never would seal back and the had to replace the oil pan gasket.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

That's wierd. Did they give any indication as to why this happened? Did the wieght of the trans stress the gasket?