Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still haven header trouble

Old 08-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy still haven header trouble

hey guys still haven problem trying to get my 1-7/8s in i shaved the k member taken off the motor mount tried to jack it up and im still stuck i need some tips any thing to get my car running again otherwise im just going to fix my brokeass mitsubishi and put my big *** turbo on if this doesnt work
Old 08-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Teching In

its in finally lesson learned for kooks 1-7/8 you need to remove driver side mount and jack the **** out of the engine and that baby just slips right in put that mount on right after you get that baby in
Old 08-18-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I never had to do that with my kooks. It was a tight fit but I got the car up high enough and took the little piece off above the oil filter and it would go right up in there.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I have the exact same headers I'm installing now. I just barley for them in on the drivers side. I had to jack the engine up to the limit, took off the steering link, alternator, and grinded a small spot on the K member.

I don't know if you have gotten the passenger side in but the pass side is a TON easier.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
I never had to do that with my kooks. It was a tight fit but I got the car up high enough and took the little piece off above the oil filter and it would go right up in there.
but did you have kooks 1-7/8s the there a thicker tube than the 1-3/4
Old 08-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
yeah I have the exact same headers I'm installing now. I just barley for them in on the drivers side. I had to jack the engine up to the limit, took off the steering link, alternator, and grinded a small spot on the K member.

I don't know if you have gotten the passenger side in but the pass side is a TON easier.

did all that to but once we took off the mount it just slipped in now the problem is getting that mount on the engine to line up with the wholes in the solid mount and yah that pass side just slipped right in the only part i have left on that side is to put the washers and e clips on them which i hear is a bitch
Old 08-19-2007, 04:28 PM

I had a problem with them on an LS2 402. There is a tab on the block that gets in the way. We just Banged them up into place.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I got mine completely done other then adjusting my exhaust so the muffler tucks up more. no other hangups except I had to elongate the y pipe hangar bolt holes to get them to line up. The headers and Y tuck up nicely and thus far I don't think anything is hitting. I have poly mounts on my car so hopefully I'll have no y pipe banging issues. I took the car around the block and its stupid loud with my exhaust but it sounds wicked! I will be changing soon because I won't last long driving back and forth to work before I get in trouble. I bet my car can be heard for a miles now.

I also took a couple HPT logs and amazingly it looks like the tune is actually gone the opposite direction that I thought. I'll be taking fuel out of the tune so I guess headers really do make the car more efficient.

Originally Posted by kuzyawd/rwd
did all that to but once we took off the mount it just slipped in now the problem is getting that mount on the engine to line up with the wholes in the solid mount and yah that pass side just slipped right in the only part i have left on that side is to put the washers and e clips on them which i hear is a bitch
Ahh.. yeah Stage 8 headers bolts I've had them before. They are a pain in the *** to get the washers and clips on. you will have to loosen or tighten the bolts to get the washers on and the e clips.. yeah... thats why I reused my stock bolts. Its easy enough to get to the stock bolts so if I have to I can change them.

Good luck man! you will love them once they are all done.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Teching In

sixvi6-camaro hey i think you should post a sound clip of your car i should be hearing mine by the end of the day today just have to put minor parts on
Old 08-21-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ohh ****.. where are you in Schaumburg? I'm a 15 min walk from speed inc in Schaumburg myself. Hell I could drive over and let you listen to my nasty exhaust setup in person.. lol.

I'm planing on changing my exhaust so it won't be the way it is for long.. probably going to just clamp mufflers right onto the headers. might just get another flowmaster 1 chamber or possibly go with a couple Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc mufflers or just have speed inc do up a true deal setup. dunno but I'm not liking the Y pipe sound at all!

Last edited by sixvi6-camaro; 08-21-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Ohh ****.. where are you in Schaumburg? I'm a 15 min walk from speed inc in Schaumburg myself. Hell I could drive over and let you listen to my nasty exhaust setup in person.. lol.

I'm planing on changing my exhaust so it won't be the way it is for long.. probably going to just clamp mufflers right onto the headers. might just get another flowmaster 1 chamber or possibly go with a couple Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc mufflers or just have speed inc do up a true deal setup. dunno but I'm not liking the Y pipe sound at all!
oh no dont tell me that now i might just have to get duals to i have a set but i dont like that it has an h pipe instead of an x yah im right by the murrays off barrington i just started mine yesterday so sick i actually have to drive to hoffman open headered to fday to get the y pipe in cause its not fitting for some reason
Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kuzyawd/rwd
oh no dont tell me that now i might just have to get duals to i have a set but i dont like that it has an h pipe instead of an x yah im right by the murrays off barrington i just started mine yesterday so sick i actually have to drive to hoffman open headered to fday to get the y pipe in cause its not fitting for some reason
Sucks that the Y pipe isn't fitting but it will be fun to drive open header. I ordered up a 2nd flowmaster 1 chamber and I'm going clamp one on each header for now. Next month I'll have speed inc do up true duals. Hopfully this weekend when I'm working on my exhaust I'll be able to cruise around a bit open headers though.. lol!

Also I need a new passenger side O2. when I first started mine I forgot to tie up the pigtail on that side and melted the wires and a part of the connector so I installed my wideband on that side and did an open loop tune instead.

well pics of my car are in my sig.. if you see a pewter camaro with skinnies and dark painted stock rear wheels it will be me!

Search this Thread