Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

?'s about the t56 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ?'s about the t56 swap

I have a 02 ss it's a auto and I really want the 6 speed trany can I swap these out? will it be too much trouble? and what parts will I have to have to do this? just help me out if possible
Old 08-18-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need.....
Transmission with bellhousing
Manual crossmember (transmission mount)
Clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel
Upper center console piece
Manual pedals
Hydraulics, preferrably 01 up
NEW slave cylinder
And time.
And a shifter if your transmission doesnt come with one.
Im gettin ready to do the same thing so ill be able to tell you how difficult its gonna be..
Old 08-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Teching In

how much money is need to do this? and is this a fiarily easy swap? what is the slave cylinder and the hydraulics? sorry bout' all the ?'s still learning all the chevy stuff
Old 08-19-2007, 05:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kratos 2250
how much money is need to do this? and is this a fiarily easy swap? what is the slave cylinder and the hydraulics? sorry bout' all the ?'s still learning all the chevy stuff
+1
I need to know that too
Old 08-19-2007, 06:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Theres a lot of good info in the sticky above.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/200480-m6-a4-a4-m6-conversion-info-requested.html
Old 08-19-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

read the sticky, im in the process of swapping with another member, and we've put in 1 days of work soo far (12 hours) and we got both transmission on the table, and both wire harnesses on the table, now we are going to put them all back in today...
Old 08-19-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

+1 on reading the sticky, that's where I got all of my information I ever needed to do my swap. great info there with pictures, wiring diagrams, etc.

Hydraulics... older cars use cables to disengage the clutch, we have hydraulics. The clutch is connected directly to the master cylinder which pushes fluid through the line to the slave cylinder, the slave cylinder has a throwout bearing on it that pushes on the clutch to disengage it. The master is bolted under your brake booster. you have to cut a hole for it through the firewall to your clutch pedal (all explained in the sticky) and the slave is bolted to the transmission inside the bellhousing behind the clutch. they're connected with a quick disconnect line, and you have to bleed all the air bubbles out of the system just like your brakes.

kits cost around 1300-2500 depending on quality, mileage, parts, age, etc. But you will most likely need to buy a few parts seperate. usually fluids, harness if you want it, or splice yours (all explained in the sticky), PCM or get a tune, maybe a clutch and slave, or upgraded master and shifter if you choose. the A4 driveshaft is the same as the M6 but the A4 is usually steel where the M6 is usually aluminum (now always). Torque arm is the same. I know that sticky is long but it's extremely helpful. There's a couple posts of a full swap writeup also if you read through it, gives you a complete detailed parts list and instructions.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

GM high tech did a write up on this a few months ago. It was in their "Transition" issue. you can find it on their site, by going here http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...wap/index.html.

They spent around 4k to do it but they pretty much bought a new transmission for the car so that was about half the cost of the whole project.

The NICE thing about that article is that unlike the stickys (dont get me wrong those are great) the article gives the dimensions for where the holes need to be cut and how big they need to be. Another added bonus is that they did it on an LS1 car not an LT1 car. Granted there isnt alot of differences there but just makes it a little nicer IMO.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

I just finished mine. It took about 4 days all together worked on it after work so I would even consider those full days. The FS section and Ebay will be your friend. Majority of the parts i got off here. All together i have about$1700 in parts including the trans and the PCM getting tuned. The only mistake i made was don't buy used hydraulics my slave is shot, thanks Ebay. Other than that wiring is a breeze. Like stated above that sticky on how to do the swap really helped me out. If you guys have any ? Pm me.