View Full Version : Question about benafit of alum driveshaft

ThumpersZ28
08-19-2007, 08:35 AM
have a 94 Z LT1 with the A4 auto and would like to know if the alum driveshaft would be a benafit ...to change from the steel

this swap would be just for doing it not looking for a benafit of strength...maybe just for the little less weight

I have seen and heard of the alum being broke under launching

will be adding a stroker motor, shift kit, convertor, gears lot more mods

size of alum ....is it a matter also?

Michael "Thumper"

cam
08-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Weight is the main advantage and I believe ( I dont have the exact science behind me here but.. ) I believe the aluminum by nature has a higher critical speed than steel. Meaning it can spin higher RPM safer without whipping.

As for drag racing the stock steel is likely stronger but much more eveident on an M6.

If you want a great aluminum shaft for a good price get one of these;

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/performance_parts/index.html?item=827

Tough as hell and light weight too

EPP
08-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Weight is the main advantage and I believe ( I dont have the exact science behind me here but.. ) I believe the aluminum by nature has a higher critical speed than steel. Meaning it can spin higher RPM safer without whipping.

As for drag racing the stock steel is likely stronger but much more eveident on an M6.

If you want a great aluminum shaft for a good price get one of these;

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/performance_parts/index.html?item=827

Tough as hell and light weight too

Thanks! The PST driveshaft we sell is a larger 3.5" aluminum driveshaft that we have found to work with all the driveshaft safety loops we have tried it with. It is guaranteed for life and is rated for 1200 hp. It comes with both the front and rear U Joints and is ready to slide into the transmission, and bolt up to a 1350 yoke on the rear-end. Bob

staringback05
09-02-2007, 01:18 PM
done a search and this was the best stuff i could come up with....what are the weight difference between the iron and alumn shafts

01ssreda4
02-22-2009, 04:28 PM
^^^^dunno but i have got one of each i will weigh them....