Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to go in gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to go in gear

Ok my car is 2000 TA with 74xxx miles. It just had a tranny rebuild with all new synchros and a new clutch spec 3+ about 2000 miles ago. It has just got harder tp put in first gear at a light. Sometimes going in second it grinds with the clutch pedal all the way down I have to double clutch it and it will go. Regular driving there are no problems. Sometimes when going into first while still rolling it kinda does a back and forth thing like it doesent want to go in, but when I completely stop it goes in fine as long as it is lined up. And another thing it does it when it is in gear and the cluth is all the way in and I rev the motor high the clutch pedal wants to come back up. I know this is a lot to take in but can anyone help me, possibly air in the lines ? Fluid is black. no drill mod
thanks
Old 08-19-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like I always hear this about the specs. Sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging. You can use my fix for it... but it's not as recognized as some others.

Your master cylinder may be bad since your fluid is already black. Also, make sure that the line to the slave cylinder is away from/shielded from any high heat sources.

Did you replace your hydraulics when everything else was changed? If not, you definitely need to update to the 01+ Master and Slave.

If you're done all of that, I'd yank the tranny back out and put a 1/8" spacer behind the slave. Not a lot of people do this, and a lot of those people continue to have clutch problems until it drives them insane. I did the spacer 70k miles ago, and have been problem free ever since. Just made my own spacer outta some scrap aluminum.

Also, don't forget to bleed the system. It may not be the solution, but it won't hurt anything if you do it right.

Last edited by jmdale1984; 08-19-2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: more info