Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Exhaust Idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Exhaust Idea

Alright, I currently have a Magnaflow catback that is usting out at the muffler causing my exhaust tips to sag. I've always wanted to rid myself of the tips anyways (I like the clean look).

I don't want to get a replacement muffler due to the cost and lack of change. I don't have the dough for the exhaust I currently want (true duals with an x-pipe).

So... my thought is to pull the cat off, replace it with a bullet muffler (I'm thinking Moroso Spiral Flow) and dumping it at the axle.

A) What will this sound like?

B) What can I expect performance wise.

And yes, I have someone to tune out the cat.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm... the car has 2 cats stock on the Y pipe... so you would need to mufflers and a ton of work to get it to fit because there isn't much space on the drivers side.

do you mean put a muffler on the intermediate pipe.. the piece after the Y pipe merge and before the axle and dump it? If so that will work fine. I run that on my car and it sounded great with stock cats and manifolds. I'll be changing it right quick because it sounds like *** with Long tubes and an ORY.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I was thinking of the intermediate pipe after the Y.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Magnaflows are stainless.

Are you sure it is rusting?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will cost you more money to have the cats cut out then replaced with pipe and also having a bullet muffler and turndown welded in than having swapping mufflers. Having a bullet type muffler in the I-pipe and dumped at the axle would sound and flow a lot better though.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Yeah, it's rusting. I had to have the drive side tip rewelded a while back. It was just a matter of time before the passenger side went.

I can cut the pipe, remove the rear cat, and clamp the new bullet and turndown myself.

I can get a Moroso Spiral flow for $50 bucks and then clamps and a turndown should be fairly cheap as well. Labor will be a case of beer to myself. If I went the replacement route I'd be paying approximately $120 for the muffler and labor to reweld.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

yup.. that will work fine. that is exactly what I did with a flowmaster 1 chamber, and random pieces of pipe and clamps as a temp exhaust until I got the LT headers and setup I want.

I bolted the hangar for mine to the rear seat belt mount bolt so there was no welding or anything. Also it surprisingly sounds really good with stock manifolds and cats.. not too good with LT's and ORY though.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd wait until you had the money for duals. A dumped Y pipe sounds like *** IMO...especially if all you will have is a single bullet as a muffler
Old 08-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Teching In

I'd wait, but the exhaust is going to go flying off around a turn before I get the money for duals.

sixvi6-camaro, do you still have that pipe, muffler, and turndown?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I still have it but its still on my car. I'm going to end up reusing the muffler and turndown off that though on a true dual or drag car style setup with the mufflers clamped directly to the headers. the pipe its connected to is ugly though.. literally made up of a couple pieces of leftover exhaust and one section is really rusted bad. it looks good in the pic because I just painted it this weekend when I did my LT header install.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 AM
Teching In

I was hoping to buy it off you but no big deal. I'm going to cut a section mount the muffler and then the turn down. It shouldn't be a huge deal.

How did you cut the exhaust pipe from the stock intermediate pipe?

It looks like I'm going to have to resort to a dremel.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 AM
Teching In

One more retarded question...

What size I.D. muffler do I need to fit on the I pipe?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 AM
12 Second Club

on mine im running the stock manifolds with cats, an SLP ORY and a dynomax bullit and it sounds badass, i think it would be better with no cats but i plan on swapping to LT's and true duals later down the road, be careful though if you run the muffler off ur Y, theres not a lot of clearence, it takes some careful planning, i just took the whole exhaust loose from the manifolds, layed it out then welded it up and bolted it back on...works great and sounds AWESOME at WOT
Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used a saws awl but a dremel or hack saw with a fine tooth blade will work. Its 3" piping that I used for mine.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Teching In

I got it on but am having a little trouble finding a good place to hang it from. It's solid enough to drive to school and work this week but I'll have to find a good solid place to hang it from. It's hitting the floorboard pretty solid right now.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I replaced the rear pass side seat belt bolt with a stock LCA bolt then used the stock LCA nut to mount a hanger to. you can see it in this pic.

It held my exhaust solid doing that and its a good alternative to drilling holes.