Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

re-installing rods/pistons few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-installing rods/pistons few ?s

ok, i'm putting the motor back together tomorrow mornin and was wondering about the gap locations on the rings. my dad builds outboard race engines and has built several old small blocks and was telling me something about not having the gaps in an impact area or something like that...where do i need to have the gaps? someone help me out here.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: re-installing rods/pistons few ?s

I have always put my gaps at 180 degrees from each other. Just to be different I always started the top gap pointing 45 degrees off center. I dont know what the impact area is, but would like to know. Get dad to describe it.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:15 PM
Launching!

I'm not familiar with the terminology "impact area". The only rule I can think of off hand for installing rings is just as stated above, install them with the gaps staggered 180 degrees to ensure good ring sealing.

I'm interested in what he means by "impact area" too.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Matt,

i think the impact area you're refering to is the sides where the piston will exert the most force on the cyllinder walls. always a good idea to face the 1st and second rings at at least a 45* angle from each other and as far away from the "top" (closest to the valley cover) and "bottom" (furthest from VC.) thats the way i've always done it anyway. good luck, you'll know the first time you start it if it's right or not
Old 05-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Banned

that's exactly what he was talking about vince! when you say as far away from the top and bottom do you mean to have the gaps somewhere in the front to back area of the bore as opposed to left or right sides? i'm not quite positive on this.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:17 PM

I believe he means the gaps have to at least 45*s apart (180 is best) and the gaps pointing toward the front or rear of the motor so the piston isnt "riding" on the gaps.

I makes sence to me now Thanks!!
Old 05-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Banned

makes sence to me also...i just went down there and started doing them and figured it all out. i think i need new rings though...i'm just using stock pistons and everything just with new rod bolts and there is a bit of carbon on the sides of the pistons between the top two rings???? any suggestions? i might just take it to HANS FEUSTAL here in fort worth and pay him to assemble it to take the guess work out of it.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

i would think you would want the ring gap facing either towards the front or the back of the motor.

are you planning on spraying this motor matt? stupid question... let me rephrase that.. are you planning on compensating for nitrous in the ring gaps? what promped you to use the stock pistion again? rods??
Old 05-27-2003, 02:48 PM
Banned

i got the wrong pistons from ROSS and decided to just put in the 6.0 with a big cam and the heads i will use on the big motor. i was going to build a forged 370 but now i'm gonna put the 6.0 in and buy another 6.0 block and build a 418 or 422. just depends. i'm gonna leave the heads cam 6.0 in the truck and buy something to put the BIG motor in as a race car. i thought about forging the 6.0 which i might do in 6 months or so, but for now stock motor should be fine. i am starting to think i might replace the stock piston rings, but i don't know how much to grind on them, and don't have a grinder. this is why i am thinking of having speedtek or hans fuestal or someone around here assemble it and do the ring gaps etc.