Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the intake and headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the intake and headers?

As the title says, what's the intake and the headers?
Old 08-21-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The intake is on the right hand side near your blinker fluid reservoir. The headers are the clips that hold your brakes to your rotors.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

the intake man. is the one right down the middle of your ls1 usually the one that connects to the air intake..... and the headers are on the side of the engine they are like 4 pipes on each side that come out to your exhaust
Old 08-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Old 08-21-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The intake is where your throttle body is connected to that sits in the middle and on top of the engine, it's black. Your headers/ or exhaust manifolds are on the outside of the cylinder heads where your spark plugs are.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Default lol@ this

Originally Posted by chavez885
The intake is on the right hand side near your blinker fluid reservoir. The headers are the clips that hold your brakes to your rotors.
the intake stores the plutonium for the flux capacitor,and headers help support the muffler bearings.....lol

take an auto mechanics class or purchase some videos...
Old 08-21-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
the intake stores the plutonium for the flux capacitor,and headers help support the muffler bearings.....lol

take an auto mechanics class or purchase some videos...
hahaha
Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

WTF WOW here ill save some people the trouble!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Banned

Way to help someone who is asking for help guys.

Someone once told me there are no stupid questions.. just stupid people to give stupid answers.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
Way to help someone who is asking for help guys.

Someone once told me there are no stupid questions.. just stupid people to give stupid answers.

agreed....

everyone is new at one time and has something too learn.....
being a smartass to a new persons questions is how ls1tech loses members.

this is not ls1.com
Old 08-21-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

This might help some. This engine pic is the Generation III smallblock power plant. Earlier versions will have a different looking intake and fuel delivery system.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

we all had to start somewhere...besides this is newbie tech, these questions should be asked. Obviously he's considering modding his beast, so its better that he asks before he buys!

btw...check out the stickies, there's one on either external performance or maybe here that is called "so you wanna be fast?" it should answer all your questions.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, on all forums, I always search but the search doesn't work for me, seriously. I put in "exhaust" and to search titles only and I get hundreds of pages none of which having exhaust in them.

But back to the topic, how do better headers and intake help the car? Basically just the principle of more air in and more air out = power?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroLover
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, on all forums, I always search but the search doesn't work for me, seriously. I put in "exhaust" and to search titles only and I get hundreds of pages none of which having exhaust in them.

But back to the topic, how do better headers and intake help the car? Basically just the principle of more air in and more air out = power?

thats exactly it...

an engine is just a giant vacuum pump created by contained combustion, the more/faster you get air in, the more/faster you need to get out.

aftermarket intakes are larger in size and headers are larger in size along with tuned lengths to optimize header scavenging ( the use of pressure to increase vacuum pull).

depending on the year of your car you may not need an intake.
98-00 have a ls1 intake and need to upgrade to the ls6 intake
01-02 already have the ls6 intake.

one mod to definitely get is a intake LID. read the stickys
for about $90 they provide around 12rwhp. (rear wheel horse power)
Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Banned

I'm all for dissing dumbf*cks and opening my mouth to someone who thinks they know something and don't. I can be just as rude as anyone.

But the a few of the replies in this thread are beyond uncalled for, chavex and 5_02. We all have to start somewhere. Now what if this is a 15yo kid, like we all once were, and his Dad recently died and he inherited his Dad's LS1 and wants to learn about it? And this is the response he gets? Would you rather him go to local guys, get into the street racing scene, then risk all of our lives? Or maybe he is 18, has worked his a$$ off since he was young, finally bought an LS1, and his father or friends don't know jack **** about cars? At any rate, chavez and 5_02, shut the f*ck up. I guarantee you I know more than both of you ever will know about an internal combustion engine. But when you ask how a turbocharger works, or what volumetric efficiency means, do I give some smarta$$ response that isn't even funny? Grow the f*ck up. Must suck to here that from a 21yo kid.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Pwned!!!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Default It Was A ******* Joke

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
I'm all for dissing dumbf*cks and opening my mouth to someone who thinks they know something and don't. I can be just as rude as anyone.

But the a few of the replies in this thread are beyond uncalled for, chavex and 5_02. We all have to start somewhere. Now what if this is a 15yo kid, like we all once were, and his Dad recently died and he inherited his Dad's LS1 and wants to learn about it? And this is the response he gets? Would you rather him go to local guys, get into the street racing scene, then risk all of our lives? Or maybe he is 18, has worked his a$$ off since he was young, finally bought an LS1, and his father or friends don't know jack **** about cars? At any rate, chavez and 5_02, shut the f*ck up. I guarantee you I know more than both of you ever will know about an internal combustion engine. But when you ask how a turbocharger works, or what volumetric efficiency means, do I give some smarta$$ response that isn't even funny? Grow the f*ck up. Must suck to here that from a 21yo kid.
like I said in the post he should take a class if he is interested in automobiles.....hell I rebuilt my very first tranny and engine at age 15 while in a auto tech class..was ase certified and working full time as a tech by age 19.......This was a simple stupid question and could havew been easily answered by a simple google or yahoo browse.....

You guys are a bunch of uptight that need to have a good laugh......

To the op sorry if I hurt your feelings in any way....It was a joke......

Too any of you that thought I was being a dick
You
Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

ok if u have a ls1 the intake is that big black thing in the middle and the headers are the pipes that are on the side of the engine. (dude ya kno some people are gonna bust ur ***** for this thread)
Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

At any rate, chavez and 5_02, shut the f*ck up. I guarantee you I know more than both of you ever will know about an internal combustion engine. But when you ask how a turbocharger works, or what volumetric efficiency means, do I give some smarta$$ response that isn't even funny? Grow the f*ck up. Must suck to here that from a 21yo kid.
I very seiously ******* doubt it....ive done this **** for over 12 years....Idoubt you could shool me on anything automotive.....so go **** yourself youngster.....

Oh yeah loved the DR. Phil moment there.....
Old 08-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
like I said in the post he should take a class if he is interested in automobiles.....hell I rebuilt my very first tranny and engine at age 15 while in a auto tech class..was ase certified and working full time as a tech by age 19.......This was a simple stupid question and could havew been easily answered by a simple google or yahoo browse.....

You guys are a bunch of uptight that need to have a good laugh......

To the op sorry if I hurt your feelings in any way....It was a joke......

Too any of you that thought I was being a dick
You
So is that how we should answer every question, tell the OP to just Google it?

Why even have the forums? I haven't seen a single question/discussion here that wasn't covered elseware, on another forum, or another site easily Googled. Does that mean that we should just not encourage questions and discussions?