Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about not setting the LS1 to TDC

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 06:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question about not setting the LS1 to TDC

Few weeks ago I installed a 00 ls1 used long block into my 01 Formula(bad motor).The swap went smooth,started right up but misfires just pop up on the tech 2.They went away as the comp learned its stuff.I recently remembered that I did not set the #1 piston to Top Dead Center,When me and my buddy were installing the conveter bolts to the flywheel we had to rotate the motor.The car runs okay but it seems to be lacking power.Would not setting the #1 piston to TDC lack power?00 long block had 15k miles on it.Took the car to the track only to get humiliated by others.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question about not setting the LS1 to TDC

locating TDC is just to give you a reference point for cam timing really. since you were using a long block, and didn't make any adjustment to the valvetrain (you didn't, right?) then you shouldn't need to worry. all you did was basically install your intake and fuel delivery to a used engine that was sealed from valve cover to oil pan, right?

Don't get too nervous until you get at least 50 or 100 miles on the car... the PCM will need some time to re-learn and make some adjustments. A-tap the engine, make sure everything is kosher, then go back over the engine bay and check your work. I don't think you're going to find a problem related to TDC, if anything, I would dig up my receipt, because you may have gotten jipped with a bum engine.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that anytime you swap motors in our cars you need to do a Crank Relearn with the Tech2. Since it seems you have access to this tool then you try that first.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Old 05-26-2003, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

The motor was out of my 00 Z,(caught on fire).The motor is fine.The Crank Relearn process is what conscerns me.No adjusment was made to the Valavetrain at all.I realized that it was not a Tech 2 that we were using.It was a ObdII 2 diagnostic tool that only had a program for up to 99 ls1 cars.I have a 01 PCM.So I dont really think I will be able to pull all the codes right?
Old 05-27-2003, 01:27 AM
10 Second Club

ttt