Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car got keyed

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car got keyed

Well, saturday night my car got keyed, REALLY bad, its all the way down to the fiber glass and on the back its all the way down to the metal, every single panel on the entire car has been keyed, including the hood, I will take some pictures, its amazingly deep, I called the cops and got a police report, but what do I do now? Im not even sure if i can file this under my insurance, cause i totaled my last camaro not even a year ago, will they drop me? My friend owns a body shop and he said the entire car had to be repainted................any suggestions fellas? anyone in the Atlanta area own a body shop so I can get a second opinion?
Old 05-26-2003, 09:16 AM
PR Director

Default Re: Car got keyed

Man the nerve of some people , I am sorry to hear what happend. My car was egged about 2 years ago so I feel your anger. You can call your insurance company and see what they say. I am not sure if they will drop you or not but you can see. If the car got keyed all over I would paint the entire car. Which one of your cars got keyed?
Old 05-26-2003, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Quick question:

Why are you paying for insurance (read: insurance that the car will be repaired if damaged) if you are not going to file against it?

So you totaled a car (!), thats what you pay insurance for. If they decide to drop you, so what, get on progressive.com and find another one.

Insurance is a product. You pay for said product just like you would anything else. If they do not cover you, and just drop you dead on your ***, they are stealing from you. Just think of it that way when they start getting sideways with you. If they didnt want to insure you, they shouldnt have.

Now that the "I hate insurance companies" rant is over, Ill talk normally:

Dude, that sucks bad. Most likely it will need a repaint to get it back to the way it was before. Sorry man.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. My car was keyed pretty badly too. Definitely call your insurance agent. It shouldn't even affect your rates. It was vandolized. It wasn't a moving violation and you were completely unresponsible for it. I'm sure they cover it.

I hope it works out for you. Please don't tell me it was the Z06...
Old 05-26-2003, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well really the only way to have any keying fixed anywhere is either to have the whole car repainted or to buy a used stock piece from the factory. If you get just say that one fender repainted it's impossible to get the colors to exactley match. Yeah they may look right but when you look at them at a certain angle or a certain distance you will be able to tell. I would suggest to have it sand blasted (to remove paint and any possible rust at the same time) and then have it repainted if it is scratched all over. Sorry about that man...happened to my brother too but he hasn't fixed it yet since he can't drive his car.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the car was totaled and it was your fault, the insurance premium can be increased. However, the keying was not your fault, it was vandalism. To the best of my knowledge, the insurance company cannot raise your premium because of vandalism.
I would definitely verify this FIRST, then file your claim if this is true. Then, keep an eye on your insurance statements just in case they make a "mistake".
I'm sorry this happened to you. Best of luck! gMAG
Old 05-26-2003, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

It was my 2000 NBM camaro, yeah im really really mad about the whole thing, Im wondering if I might as well just get hte color changed.............Ill see what all comes about it when I take it to the body shop tomorrow, if the insurance company will cover it, should I take it to the most expensive body shop in town? maybe one that works on european cars mostly, any other suggestions would be great!
Old 05-26-2003, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

When ever I have needed something painted on my camaro, I take to the dealership where I baught the car.

The reason is, if your car is any of the "cool/fancy/metalic" colors (like mine is the Pewter), there are 10,000 different ways that can be mixed up and each will give a different look. I went to a number of different auto painters and they all said "if you want it to match perfect, take it to the dealer....they mix that color more often so they will do a better job....."

Since you are going to have to repaint the entire car, its not that big of a deal. Just something to think about

That really sucks though. I have thought about that many time, "what would I do if someone keyed my car?" The only thing I can think of is call the insurance company and tell them what happened. As other people have said, your paying the company to insure your car, you should take advantage of it.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats sucks man , good luck with everything.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hardy Har Har that sucks sorry.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

IM really sorry to hear about that, I hope everything works out with the insurance company and I really hope that you find the bastards that did it. Where was the car when this happened. Did you embarass anyone in a race or anything that would give someone a reason to do something like that. Body damage sucks on any car, but if any one puts a dent in any of my cars its gona be from me throwing their head into the fender over and over again.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that sucks! I had this happen to me a while back plus they took my Chrome SS emblems. But I got lucky and got all my emblems back plus a new paint job in the color I have always wanted Steal Grey Pearl. The insurance will cover it no problem if you have full coverage! Even if it happen once before they still will cover it, this type of **** happens everyday. It was hard for me to just pick a shop cause most shops will try to just make alot of money off your insurance and give you a decent or shitty paint job. It took me 2 months to finally decide on a shop to paint my car, found out someone I knew paints cars for a body shop. For a good paint job expect the total to be about $7,000 thats everything, door jams, trunk, under the hood but not the whole engine bay. I have pictures in my sig if you wanna take a look. Good luck

Oh yeah your insurance company will most likly have you take the car to 3 places for estimates and will try to only give the lowest amount to paint the car possible around $4,000 but talk **** to those ******* and get what you want and who you want to paint the car I hate insurance companies sometimes!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Wicked SS:
Nice car! I like your nose badge.. where did you get it? I looked and looked for one like that, and ended up going with a nose badge off a 70 camaro. I'm pretty happy with the way mine turned out though.

770boy: That sux! I agree with what others are saying on this board ...your insurance should cover it since it's vandalism, and it's in no way your fault! I hate insurance companies. Definitely shop around for a good shop. I wonder if your insurance company would even let you change colors... Hmmm. Probably not as it would cost more!

"Insurance should be called 'In Case $h!t' ....
Now, if $h!t doesn't happen... SHOULDN'T YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK?"

-Chris Rock
"Bigger and Blacker."

Old 05-28-2003, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

JonSS thanks,
I had it custom made buy this guy that used to do powder coating.
Changing the color isnt the problem, its how much the shop is going to charge you and how much of that the insurance is going to cover. I only had to pay $800 out of pocket. But man I hate insurance companies!!
Old 05-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Launching!

what the heck is wrong with people, cant have anything nice anymore.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Man I hate hearing crap like this, so many jealous Fuc*s out there.....

The insurance should cover it....

Could always consider painting it a different color...
Old 05-29-2003, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough luck. Mine got keyed to. The bastard keyed about 10 other cars to so every time he comes by the school he is not treated well. He happens to drive a Camaro too. One day I slashed all of his tires. I would never hurt the actual body but some of my friends gladly threw some bricks at his windows, and a nice one at his hood. Now everytime he parks, he gets his tires slashed, he never learns.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

That really really angers me. I live close by, so if you find out who did it.. let me know. Its different to key one door, but to **** up a WHOLE car.. thats just plain brutal. They deserve anything bad that happens to them in the future.

On a lighter note, I'd definately make a claim. Considering the insane cost for oem parts, you could take the cash and replace it with a damn aftermarket hood.. and get a nice flashy color.

Body Motions
770-461-3779
Fayetteville, Ga

Call and ask for Steve. Tell him your situation to please give you a heck of a deal. Tell him Tim sent you (a personal friend of mine who sympathizes with your situation). They did excellent work on his Honda S2000.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know if I'd necessarily trust a dealer's body shop. Last time I had to take a vehicle to one, I had to take it back 3 times to have parts rebuffed and repainted. They never did get it quite right. Maybe I was just bein picky since I as involved in the paint industry for awhile, but if I'm gonna pay for a job, I'm gonna pay for a job done right. And in case anyone wants to ask, it was a Bill Turd dealership.

BTW, around Atlanta you should be able to find someone who's REALLY good. Unfortunately I can't recommend anyone. I haven't had any personal experience or heard of any good shops. Sux that that had to happen man. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow thats terrible!!!!
as far as insurance, when you totaled it it was most likely your collision that covered it. the fact that it was keyed is comprehensive. it in no way was done by your driving. they may raise your comprehensive rate but thats chump change compared to the liability and collision part of it.
you probally put the ball in motion already on your end so good luck. if you havent ....hurry up if those deep scratches in the etal parts start to rust,its like cancer and will always be an issue! good luck man and keep us posted.
lets us know maybe well all do a road trip to where you are and park where you were at. see if a few hundred or thousands of f-bods draw that disrespectful **** out so we can see what drag radials do to flesh!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck
and sorry

Quick Reply: Car got keyed