Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in a magnaflow muffler ?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in a magnaflow muffler ?

i was running longtubes, into x-pipe into 2 slp resonator dumps, and i took the x-pipe back off and went with a pacesetter offroad 3 inch y pipe and a magnaflow muffler, and the car is dead quiet WTF? how free flowing is this muffler, if it completely muffled the sound?...i called magnaflow and the "head tech" told me that the muffler has a fiberglass packing that will eventually break and fly out of the muffler and then i will have a deep tone? i have floored the car trying to repeatedly hurry up the process but the car is still sounding like a f150 with a crappy cat back system. i should have asked what aggressive muscle car tone they meant this muffler would sound like.

some one told me to put water in the muffler and it will crack the fiberglass, but i dont feel like that would be a smart move...

anyone heard of this BREAKING IN PERIOD, or am i gonna have to throw this muffler through magnaflows shop window, for being lied to by there "cheif tech" now 4 times...<---figure of speech only

and yes i still have the long tubes on the car.

Last edited by 1998Z20what?; 08-21-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no break-in period for mufflers. Magnaflow mufflers are VERY quiet. You should have done your research before buying it. I put one on my car and it was as quiet as stock. It will not get any louder unless for some reason the packing comes out, which there is no reason real for it to. I ran my Magnaflow muffler for 20k miles and it never got louder.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Launching!

damn it. that was $100 bucks plus installation down the drain.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

yup--they are quiter than HOOKER Mufflers even.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Launching!

man i asked them repeatedly on the phone "does this muffler offer a aggressive muscle car tone, that will scream when i floor it and be relatively quite when im off of it and does it flow good?" thats all i wanted to know,...and atleast 3 or four different TECHS said "oh ya definately".
Old 08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 1998Z20what?
man i asked them repeatedly on the phone "does this muffler offer a aggressive muscle car tone, that will scream when i floor it and be relatively quite when im off of it and does it flow good?" thats all i wanted to know,...and atleast 3 or four different TECHS said "oh ya definately".
It sounds good when WOT....only.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Mine are pretty loud at WOT...although I have a pretty different setup.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 95 Z28
Mine are pretty loud at WOT...although I have a pretty different setup.
SLIGHTLY.....
Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Launching!

ya i dont know i will wait another month and see if it changes, im really disappointed in them. in the last 4 years i have changed about 5 full exhaust systems and this is the worst crap i have ever seen/heard, i know flowmasters suck a$$ but i would rather have one of them stuck on there/ hell even a no name brand muffler then this heavy POS "race muffler" atleast then i wouldnt feel like i blew alot of money on something that is junk. and the car used to lose traction second gear, now it hooks all the way from take off thru every gear, so i guess that throws the whole "free flowing muffler" out the window as well.

thanks Magnaflow..
Old 08-22-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

yep, Mine was way quiet also. I hated it. I shot water up the pipes but that did nothing. I got the muffler for free so I performed a surgery on it. Took out the packing and welded it back up. Then it had the sound I was looking for. But then I got tired of it so i went with the SLP LM and put two bullets in the tailpipes. I love it now.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:57 AM
11 Second Club

I really love my Magnaflow. I like how people think its slow by how quiet it is. I think it sounds good at WOT. Even though its quiet, it does flow with the best of them.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

My Magnaflow is pretty loud, and I had a TSP Rumbler catback on there prior to this. While the Rumbler was louder, the Magnaflow on my car is still loud enough for me to want to drive carefully around police. You just went from one extreme (X pipe with LM resonators..) to a catback with an actual muffler. It doesn't flow as well as duals, no catback will, but I bet you didn't lose more than 5rwhp.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Stock replacement muffler in a stock catback? If so, that's very close to my setup, and mine is not quiet at all. It's got a very nice rumble at idle and gets pretty loud at WOT. What are you comparing it to? I rode around for almost a week with open headers, and it's nothing like that, but it's definately much louder(and more beefy) than stock.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Just wondering why you would go back to a Y pipe after already having an x-pipe and true duals?

I have a Magnaflow on my truck and I was not 100% happy with the sound either at first. I do think that the exhaust got a lot louder over time. Now I can really make people stare if I stand on it.

Anything is better than my Camaro with the stock SS exhaust. I need to replace it as quick as possible. You can't hear it at all until you floor it.

Saving up for the Bassani true dual kit, unless my local guy can come up with something custom that will work and be legal.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Something must be wrong with my magnaflow. It's always been loud, it's raspy between 2k and 2800. It's crazy loud at WOT. The only cars with LT's and a Cam that I have heard louder than mine are either Borla with plates removed, LM, or no muffler at all. Maybe there is something screwed up on mine because I have been debating on getting either a bullet muffler to quiet it down or a different catback all together. It's just as loud now with the turbo setup on it.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Loudness is subjective... What you think is crazy loud others may think of as really quiet. This is what makes these "how loud is this exhaust" threads completely useless. The only real way to get a notion of how loud something is is to measure it or try to create some sort of comparison to a known, stock exhaust for example.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

stand behind it, let someone else go WOT for you...

my personal preference is quiet inside, and loud behind me at WOT...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Launching!

When I first put the Magnaflow catback on my car I thought it was too quiet as well. But It seriously does get a little louder after a week or so. Ive driven it about 500 miles since I put it on and its lots louder than it was when I put it in.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Loudness is subjective... What you think is crazy loud others may think of as really quiet. This is what makes these "how loud is this exhaust" threads completely useless. The only real way to get a notion of how loud something is is to measure it or try to create some sort of comparison to a known, stock exhaust for example.
TRUE WORDS...how is SLO...was there a month ago...nice place...VP of MICROSOFT lives there.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SladeX
stand behind it, let someone else go WOT for you...

my personal preference is quiet inside, and loud behind me at WOT...
Exactly, WOT from behind. I've had compliments on my Magnflow- and no cabin drone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Breaking in a magnaflow muffler ?