New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exaust and street legality

Old 08-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exaust and street legality

Sup fellaz, i've been lookin around at this but I keep see'ing things that are making me second guess myself. I was under the assumption that the instant you remove your cats you are then illegal and wont pass state inspection. Assuming this also made me assume that LT headers and/or true duals, for example, are doing just that... making me illegal. Please inform an ignoramous oh f-bod gurus what else do I need to be aware of that may push me over the legal line. After all that, taking this into consideration whats the best exaust system from headers to exaust tips that KEEPS ONE LEGAL. I need this simply because im not able (and honestly, not interested) in putting my stock system back on whenever i need to get inspected.

p.s. the car came with a flowmasters when I got it. I LOVE the sound of flowmasters. The deep tone is enough to jizz on but its not loud enough and of course... its a step towards nowhere in the performance scene.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not about what is legal - it's about what you can get away with!!!!!

It is illegal to change the location of the cats (or remove them), but many state inspections will not check or enforce this. Also, many states will not even check the exhaust volume. It really depends on where you live. Learn the rules of your state, and find a good shop that will do the inspection the same way every time.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think its worth the headache taking the chance of having it fail inspection when you can just keep legal to begin with.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TA1364
I dont think its worth the headache taking the chance of having it fail inspection when you can just keep legal to begin with.
yeah, but legal usually means less fun, power, ect.

If you do your research on state inspections before you mod your car, then you will not be risking much at all. Know what to expect, mod the car, and then get it inspected. No big deal.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

try a search on your state inspection. its tells everything they check .
Old 08-22-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think 2001 / 2002 had better exhaust manifolds so probably dont change to shorties, but if you need to stay legal but have a 98-99-(maybe 2000) shorties plus random tech has high flow cats and y pipe (cats stay in stock location which keeps it legal) then add a good catback which i think is legal all over. some people say go long or go home (i hate that saying) long tubes gain about 20 rwhp, shorties maybe 5 and high flow cats and y pipe another 5 so you decide.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

What state are you in?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Atm im stayin in Virginia
Old 08-23-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Federal usually mandates the existence of emissions equipment, minimum cats (operation for all time) and AIR system (for cold start), EGR is up to the manufacturer to add depending on how the engine is built. Relocation of the cats is illegal under federal standards.

Each individual state manages it's own emissions level and can add upon to the existing federal standard. One only has to look at C.A.R.B. to see how much they can up the ante on emissions. Noise is not usually regulated by state BUT can have guidelines or laws in place not usually enforced unless you managed to tick off a cop.

Finally municipal will usually be under control of the noise level by-laws. This is more for the sanity of the community than anything. This will tend to get enforced a bit more depending on where you live. (Quiet residential town full of retired folks will find you in a bad spot)

Basically it's this. How strict are the shops on emissions? Sniffer? ODBII scan only? C.A.R.B level?

I've only heard Cali being really tough on longtubes (CARB would never give a number to any longtube), hence if your mods don't have a CARB number, you automatically fail.

If the visual is lax and all you have to do is pass sniffer or ODBII, then run whatever you can get away with. Noise is subjective, drive with what you and your neighbors are willing to live with.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

By federal EPA law, any sort of exhaust modification that deviates from factory specification is illegal. All factory exhaust systems must pass the Federal Test Procedure (FTP) prior to being issued on a production car, and thus any replacement system must be identical to factory specs to stay within USEPA compliance.

That’s the bad news.

The good news is, changes to the exhaust system post-catalytic converter are not an enforcement priority for the USEPA, or for most state EPA agencies. This means that although most catback systems are not legal by federal law (even if they have C.A.R.B. numbers for use in CA, however it is doubtful that the Feds would ever questions products that are C.A.R.B. approved), you can get away with using them without risking federal prosecution. That covers the federal level.

On the other hand, for the most part, the average motorist will not be dealing with suits brought against them by the USEPA. An individual is a small target and not really worth their time. It’s usually shops that will need to worry about federal fines for tampering with or removing emissions equipment. Although there are fines and penalties on the books for individual offenders as well, should they ever choose to impose them.

What the average person will need to worry about is their respective state’s inspection. Most state laws mirror the federal law in terms of emissions equipment and exhaust modification. However, as we all know, there are plenty of ways around these laws, and the path you need to take will depend largely on what sort of test (if any) your state uses to determine compliance. For the most part, state inspections are not very strict when it comes to visual inspection (CA being the biggest exception to this rule). For many states, they would never notice if you had moved the cats to a new location, or were using larger diameter piping than stock. And in some states, there is no visual inspection at all.

The easiest tests to pass are the OBDII scan tests. In states like IL, for all 1996 and newer cars, we have no tailpipe “sniffer” test, no I/M240 “dyno” test, and no visual inspection. All we must pass to be in compliance is the OBD scan test. An OBD scan test basically checks your PCM for any current or stored Type A or B DTCs (Detected Trouble Codes) making sure that the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) isn’t commanded on (meaning an SES or “check engine” light illuminated on your dash), and that all OBD readiness tests within the PCM are at “complete” status. If your SES light is on, you are certain to fail. For those that have removed emissions equipment, custom PCM tuning is the answer to passing the test with missing cats, EGR, AIR, etc. Custom tuning will be needed to keep the SES off, while still allowing the readiness tests to complete.

If you live in a state with I/M240 or any other kind of “sniffer” test, and/or you have a thorough visual inspection to pass, then your options are limited. You will need to either:

A) Find a shady test center that will pass you based on your connections or the number of dead presidents you put in their wallet.

B) Find a way to get state exemption from emissions testing (many states offer some sort of “Race Car/Show Car Exemption Status”).

C) Find a way to register your car out of that state, or outside of the test region (maybe at a relative’s address, etc.).

D) Live with your local emissions laws and mod your car to the limit of what you can get away with based on your local tests. This might mean staying away from LT headers and off-road pipes altogether, or swapping exhaust systems when you go in for the test.

Now, keep in mind that passing on a state level does not mean that you are technically compliant with federal law. The federal EPA does not accept state emissions tests as proof of federal compliance. If the USEPA ever decides to crack down on you for some reason (probably would NEVER actually happen to any individual person), they could care less if you have a passing grade from your state’s EPA. They require compliance with the FTP (Federal Test Procedure) for all motor vehicles, so if your car has any parts that are not OEM, and are not direct OE replacements, you will fail their inspection.

Another thing to consider is noise ordinance violations. Even in regions with lax or no emissions testing at all, you still may have issues with the law based on noise levels. Just because you might have a sticker from your inspection center that says “PASS”, doesn’t mean that you can’t still get a ticket for noise violation. Being emissions compliant will not hold up in court towards getting noise violations thrown out.

Hope all this helps.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So when I move to cali from ohio LT are pretty much out of the question unless i keep it registered here.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Whatch out with loud exhausts in VA. The toopers are dicks about it. My sister got pulled over having a LEGAL exhaust that the trooper thought was too loud.

Search this Thread