General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaks, leaks, and more oil leaks...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaks, leaks, and more oil leaks...

I am about to seriously start pulling my hair out. After I did a rod bolt install in my 98 Trans am the car started leaking upon firing it up. We tore the car back apart to realize that when I installed the rear cover again I had infact not used the back two bolts of the oil pan to "suck" down the rear cover and left a gaping hole because I had bolted everything else up first. So it got torn back down again. I did it the proper way and everything seemed fine. Car drove with no leaks for about 50 miles. All of a sudden it is like a gasket popped. Oiled down the entire exhaust. Smoke show. The whole bit. So again it got torn down. It was determined we didn't use enough rtv in the corners. We now replaced every gasket we had. This means brand new oil pan, rear main seal, and rear cover gaskets. We did the proper procedure for everything. RTVed the hell out of the thing. And put it all back together. Car ran great for another 50 miles. Now under part throttle it is fine. However when I jump on it and there is any sort of high pressure in the oil system it just pukes oil everywhere. But then returns to normal with no leaks once the system is at low pressure. I am at a loss and am about to tear the damn thing down again for a fourth time in less then a month. If I popped a gasket it would constantly leak. If the oil pan was cracked or something else is would steadily drip. What the heck would cause it to leak only when high pressure is in the oiling system? I am dying for answers because if it isn't fixed this time I may park it for a long time because spending nearly $400 on gaskets and oil in the last three weeks is killing me, and I am not about to throw money at a guessing game which it appears to be. Any help appreciated. The only thing I could even possibly think of now is that the ported ls6 oil pump is putting too much pressure in the system and pushing it past seals.