Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MAF-Keep it or ditch it! Explain why=>

Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF-Keep it or ditch it! Explain why=>

Okay-one day I think i'm all determined to go SD 3bar, then the next day I say man-maybe i should just stick with the MAF-afterall it works. After my last outing at the track-I was determined to ditch my MAF, but after some recent thinking-I'm thinking maybe it still can be used? My recent leaning towards the MAF is the LPE TT cars. 750 + horsepower, mid 9 second time slips, a warranty and a MAF. If they can tune the car with the MAF and offer a warranty-then isn't that proof positive it can work and be reliable and accurate? Okay that's my case-what are your thoughts?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just ditch the damn thing already
Old 08-22-2007, 05:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what LPE does but I'm not aware of any maf system that can accurately measure airflow at the 750+hp level.

SD works great and I see no advantage to keeping the maf sensor.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just think Arun once you dial it in SD you wont have to fock with it too much. You can even dial in different pulley combos.

You may need to do a slight tweak here and there but it'll run crisp

BTW your trans is vac modulated right?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Just ditch the damn thing already
+10,000
Old 08-22-2007, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

If I had to take a guess at it, I'd say LPE fudges the numbers after the MAF maxes out with the PE table. Good friend of mine who tunes and builds LS series engines does the same thing, has been since the motors first came out. He swears by it, doesn't see a need to screw with SD. All the cars run like raped apes, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

Don't really have an opinion one way or another myself, I prefer MAF tuning but see benefits of 2/3 bar SD, too. Just thought I'd throw an opposing opinion in there.

I think I remember hearing/reading something about a 105mm MAF that was being experimented on to extend our car's capability before the MAF maxes out. I think it was from Mustangs. If I could find that again, I'd much rather do that than go SD.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Newb Q: What's the advantage of MAF over SD?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

Keep the MAF, there are tricks to do both SD and MAF.

Rick
Old 08-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Coal Mining Director

Both will support the power. SD will support it in a safer manner. I ran 9's at 141 with a maf....it was maxed around 3400rpm. RPM vs PE above 3400rpm. It works but is not as safe as SD. My sd tune knows what boost vs fuel to supply....is not fixed to rpm...If I overboost, the car will go rich per my tune and save the engine. Can't do that with rpm vs pe. I'm also tuned for multiple boost levels with one tune. Can't do that with rpm vs pe. Maf size does not matter...computer is hard coded at 512g/s. Only negative is sd takes a lot more time to tune it correctly since you can do multiple boost levels. I'd start thinking sd after 600rwhp.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onfire
Maf size does not matter...computer is hard coded at 512g/s.
I know that from running an 85mm, only thing it did was make my fuel trims smaller, which was what it was intended to do (truck tables are more accurate). I could swear I had seen something with a MAF that got around that 512g/s though, but they were still testing it. Oh well, can't find it again.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/Merchant...Category_Code=

That's the MAF Lingenfelter uses on the 'Vettes.

Last edited by IFRYRCE; 08-23-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:02 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A blower car will never 'overboost,' worst it will do is pop a charge pipe off and fall flat on its face rich at WOT if you are using the PE/pegged MAF. If you spend the time you can do the resistor thing on the MAF and skew he numbers where you want (or do something like the MAF translater pro), sure you are lying to the PCM but its just a different way of lying then an SD tune. I used the MAF with a blower plus a dry nitrous shot and never hurt a thing. Just takes a lot of trial and error, back when there were no custom operating systems out there you had little choice but with the newer SD hacks there no reason to fool with the MAF anymore really.

If you just use the MAF pegged and PE it will work but its very inconsistent depending on the weather, I ran mine like that for a while and it worked but big weather changes and swapping pulleys I had to start all over and carry a dozen tunes with me so I eventually went BS3 since I have a 98.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Banned

Both will support the power. SD will support it in a safer manner. I ran 9's at 141 with a maf....it was maxed around 3400rpm. RPM vs PE above 3400rpm. It works but is not as safe as SD. My sd tune knows what boost vs fuel to supply....is not fixed to rpm...If I overboost, the car will go rich per my tune and save the engine. Can't do that with rpm vs pe. I'm also tuned for multiple boost levels with one tune. Can't do that with rpm vs pe. Maf size does not matter...computer is hard coded at 512g/s. Only negative is sd takes a lot more time to tune it correctly since you can do multiple boost levels. I'd start thinking sd after 600rwhp.

Again, you can still run the MAF in full effect with a 2bar or 3 bar. HP has nothing to do with it.

R
Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Again, you can still run the MAF in full effect with a 2bar or 3 bar. HP has nothing to do with it.

R

Sounds doable but you have to admit, very few people run a maf with a 3bar map sensor. So far you're the only one I know that tunes that way. Care to share the "tricks".
Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

STS turbo and I have tried both.... Using EFIlive I like the custom operating system for SD as it has boost calibrations. My MAF tune was done professionally on a dyno, but the car felt sluggish. I cannot give a true comparision because I went with a 02 computer to go with the custom operating system with the SD, but tuning it myself (and being new at it) now the car is snappy and responsive, I got 5 MPG increase, went 2 tenths faster 1/4 mile, and the tuning was very easy. I originally switched to do the AUTOVE tune (EFIlive website), I just never went back. Now could I tune with the MAF on the 02 computer and get the same results? I never really tried.......YET

R
Newb question.....please tell me....to what end? I can see the data logging advantages big time, but can you use it in tuning? I always thought it would be awesome to use the MAF up until boost then switch to MAP.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Banned

Sounds doable but you have to admit, very few people run a maf with a 3bar map sensor. So far you're the only one I know that tunes that way. Care to share the "tricks".
No different than the theory behind a 1 bar and two bar. When the maf does fail, where does it go then? Theres your answer and reason for running a 2 or 3 bar.

R
Old 08-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zapp168
STS turbo and I have tried both.... Using EFIlive I like the custom operating system for SD as it has boost calibrations. My MAF tune was done professionally on a dyno, but the car felt sluggish. I cannot give a true comparision because I went with a 02 computer to go with the custom operating system with the SD, but tuning it myself (and being new at it) now the car is snappy and responsive, I got 5 MPG increase, went 2 tenths faster 1/4 mile, and the tuning was very easy. I originally switched to do the AUTOVE tune (EFIlive website), I just never went back. Now could I tune with the MAF on the 02 computer and get the same results? I never really tried.......YET

Newb question.....please tell me....to what end? I can see the data logging advantages big time, but can you use it in tuning? I always thought it would be awesome to use the MAF up until boost then switch to MAP.

I hear the same thing about a SD tune versus a MAF tune, and I answer back, you just never had a good maf tune.

As for the switching, you just answered your own question. Think about the two things that happen and its just that easy.

Rick
Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do it just to eliminate the weak link in the delivery system, its on;y a matter of time before the MAF housing explodes.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alex @ CMS
I would do it just to eliminate the weak link in the delivery system, its on;y a matter of time before the MAF housing explodes.

Not sure how many times this has happened, but I sure have not seen it yet.

RIck
Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Coal Mining Director

Not sure how many times this has happened, but I sure have not seen it yet.

RIck

I have seen a stock screened ls1 maf become an inlet restriction at 17psi. Cost about 1.5 psi pressure drop....before and after pressure taps....

I believe I'll keep my ol 3bar. Starts easy, idles well and holds commanded AF at whatever boost I'm at....that's all I can ask for.....
Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have seen a stock screened ls1 maf become an inlet restriction at 17psi. Cost about 1.5 psi pressure drop....before and after pressure taps....

I believe I'll keep my ol 3bar. Starts easy, idles well and holds commanded AF at whatever boost I'm at....that's all I can ask for.....
But what would be the gains of going MAF?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAF-Keep it or ditch it! Explain why=>