Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trans/clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans/clutch problems

Ok, i'll get down to it. When I DEPRESS the clutch on my M6 98 T/A, I sometimes get a grinding noise and sometimes it happens when I try to push the shifter into gear. It's a short grind w/ little resistance but it's still there. It DOESN"T happen when I shift at ~3k RPMs, so my questions are... it's my stock clutch and is it shot (80k miles)? or is it my transmission? or is it both? When replacing the clutch should I just have my transmission rebuilt at the same time to be sure?

I was thinking of gettin an LS7 disc/pressure plate w/ an LS2 flywheel for ~400 bucks.. good deal? or should I get something else?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the synchros in your trans are shot. How many miles on the car?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Teching In

80k miles. You don't think it's the clutch? it's a stock clutch so i'm sure it's going to go soon anyway. I replaced the slave about 5 months ago, so I know that's ok. I'm going to get a new clutch/flywheel and then have them rebuild the transmission.. is that a good plan?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:55 AM
wrencher

If you get a noise when only depresing the clutch pedal you could have throw out bearing issues.
If it grind when engaging gears from a dead stop you could have clutch hydraulic release issues.
Try to engage other gears from a dead stop & see if they are the same then you know it is release issues.
The early cars had lots of issues with the hydraulic's.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

i was having this problem, changed the clutch, and it went away for a while. now it's back again. sometimes, if you try to shift fast, it simply won't go in gear. sound familiar? i'm thinkin it's a synchro issue. what do you the others think?