Sponsored by:

No Shift 2-3 under WOT - PLEASE ADVISE

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Shift 2-3 under WOT - PLEASE ADVISE

I've had this problem ever since owning the car. Before AND after the Rebuild

98 T/A A4 3.23s Stocking Tuning as far as i know.

The car shifts fine except when shifting 2-3 under WOT. The tach just bounces off the rev limiter!

Recently I had the tranny rebuilt at a local reputable shop due to 1-2 shift slipping and I figured this problem would be fixed too in the rebuild process, I was wrong.

A fresh rebuild... same day as I'm leaving the shop, still the 2-3 WOT shift problem remains.

My question is that it HAS to be in the tuning doesn't it? Thats what the shop's owner says.

I believe the pcm is unaltered but I do suspect that maybe possibly the previous owner may have played around with a handheld programmer like a hypertech

Are there any suggestions? Maybe get my pcm reflashed to stock at a dealer?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by deathcharge; 08-23-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If you have a stock converter then flashng back to stock may be a good move, If not or if that dosent fix it then you should see a tuner and have the shift points ajusted

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have a 3600 stall now installed from you guys BUT the problem existed Before when the stock converter was still in place, so the addition of the 3600 stall couldn't have created the issue.

There is another thread on here with a guy having same trouble and he claims he has done everything possible as far as tuning goes with no success and that concerns me because my tranny is totally fresh and I trust the rebuild shop say it has to be in the tune and Not mechanical within the tranny.

Do large dealerships offer pcm flashing, I'm wondering? I can't find anyone to check out the tuning...

Last edited by deathcharge; 08-23-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

hmm well I would still think tuning then perhaps you should consider and investiment in like a predator tuner or something if there are no tuners in your area. Would be interesting to if you put a scanner on the trans to see when the 2-3 shift is commanded.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

98 model years can be very tricky to tune due to the computers are very slow compared to the later models. A good guy to talk to would be Gilbert at Ace transmissions. They offer a trans only tune through their shop. Also there is a guy Keith at HP tuners that really knows these 98 systems. Might be something to look into. Both of which are sponsors here. Sorry not be of more help but I am a builder not a tuner! Vince