LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

anit seize on head bolts and spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anit seize on head bolts and spark plugs

i put headers in and spark plugs and i didnt put anti seize on any thing and i was wondering if this could cause me problems but it hasnt been that long so i was goin to take out the header bolts one at a time and anti seize them and same with spark plugs but is it really that important?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cruzin94
i put headers in and spark plugs and i didnt put anti seize on any thing and i was wondering if this could cause me problems but it hasnt been that long so i was goin to take out the header bolts one at a time and anti seize them and same with spark plugs but is it really that important?
I am supprised you did not bust the farthest back drivers side manifold bolt! I see more broken there than anywhere else. Anti-Seize on the exhaust manifold bolts may not be the best idea since it gets really hot. I find that Anti-Seize in areas that get REAL HOT turns to dust and actually hinders the removal. Same with the spark plug holes. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always use anti sieze when putting steel bolts in aluminum. This includes spark plugs. If you don't, more than likely you will pull the threads out of the head, IF you can get them out.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SELLC
I am supprised you did not bust the farthest back drivers side manifold bolt! I see more broken there than anywhere else. Anti-Seize on the exhaust manifold bolts may not be the best idea since it gets really hot. I find that Anti-Seize in areas that get REAL HOT turns to dust and actually hinders the removal. Same with the spark plug holes. Just my 2 cents.
Found somewhere to post for life eh?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by matt94z
Always use anti sieze when putting steel bolts in aluminum. This includes spark plugs. If you don't, more than likely you will pull the threads out of the head, IF you can get them out.
I tested the Anti-Seize theroy. If you plan to service these items every 6 months to a year then ok. But if you are like most who run plugs for 3 years, dont bother with the Anti-Seize, it just bakes off and leaves a crusty layer that hinders the removal. Lug nuts, brake slide pins, linkages, door hinges, and other things like that are a good use for Anti-Seize.

BTW when you say "Head Bolt" some may confuse that with Cylinder Head Bolts. Cylinder head bolts need silicone on the bottom run of bolts in case any rookies read this and try to put anti-seize on their head bolts.

"Anti-Seize on Exhaust Manifold bolts and spark plugs?", would be a better title.

You are of course a free man, and you could apply anti-seize to any part you wish.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Rookies??? Is it just me or do the head bolts i buy for a LT1 allready have the threads coated with a required product?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My anti seize says it's rated to 1800 degrees. Never a problem getting bolts or plugs out. Trust me, use it
Old 08-23-2007, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

so im gettin a mixed answer some say its worthless (which im assuming they didnt use it either) and some say do it .... i dont kno what to do..but i dont want to remove them and there seized in there so is there anything else i can do or use ?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been using antiseize for decades and haven't had it bake on or turn to dust.

Mike
Old 08-23-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

It's fine for use on spark plugs. My opinion, keep it off lug nuts, and exhaust manifold bolts. If you use good stainless hardware there shouldn't be any issues of not being able to remove the bolts when the time comes.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Rookies??? Is it just me or do the head bolts i buy for a LT1 allready have the threads coated with a required product?
No ZONES89RS you are the only person in this forum who buys brand new factory GM head bolts. The rest of us are too busy putting silicone on our ARP head bolts.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are having issues with anti-seize baking off, you need to buy high-temp anti-seize. You should always use anti-seize when putting a steel bolt in aluminum.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by smoknta
If you are having issues with anti-seize baking off, you need to buy high-temp anti-seize. You should always use anti-seize when putting a steel bolt in aluminum.

Thanks for puttin it clearly and right to the point i will go and buy some high temp anti-seize and do my bolts
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

as I stated, if you're using high quality stainless steel fasteners for the headers, there is no need to put anit-sieze on them. You should not have any issues.

Matt
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

but i dont no if they are stanless steal they are what every ones that came with my pacesetters
Old 08-23-2007, 11:25 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by SELLC
No ZONES89RS you are the only person in this forum who buys brand new factory GM head bolts. The rest of us are too busy putting silicone on our ARP head bolts.
HAHHA, dick face, i am running a stock motor(close enough) and i have built 383 LT1 with LE stage III heads and still used the BS bolts you get from the auto parts without any problems...and i did a search threw summit and did not even find any bolt kits for LT1. You know your not supposed to even re-use the stock bolts even on a stock rebuild right?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

HAHHA, dick face, i am running a stock motor(close enough) and i have built 383 LT1 with LE stage III heads and still used the BS bolts you get from the auto parts without any problems...and i did a search threw summit and did not even find any bolt kits for LT1. You know your not supposed to even re-use the stock bolts even on a stock rebuild right?

Try ARP 134-3701 they work for me and you can reuse them!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All that proves is you are too stupid to realize all you needed was bolts for a small block Chevy.

On the stock bolts the later years are TTY, the early stuff I believe it was OK to reuse once. My GM parts guy sells the stock bolts for $23, covers both heads and has sealer on them, not a bad option for anyone, just frequently dismissed without any thought.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are looking for a high temp anti-sieze, get the copper base anti-sieze, not the nickel base anti-sieze. You will find the nickel base preaty much everywhere, sometimes you have to look for the copper base. I would look for a thread & fastner store in the phone book and call them up, 9 times out of 10 they usually have it there.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
All that proves is you are too stupid to realize all you needed was bolts for a small block Chevy.

On the stock bolts the later years are TTY, the early stuff I believe it was OK to reuse once. My GM parts guy sells the stock bolts for $23, covers both heads and has sealer on them, not a bad option for anyone, just frequently dismissed without any thought.
Dwayne,
I was trying to be a little more subtle than you, but then again blunt seems to be more effective on some people.

I know a few guys that run new factory bolts w/o problems and I agree that they are an inexpensive quality option.

Mike