Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble codes on my LS1 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trouble codes on my LS1 swap.

I had my codes read at Auto Zone, because the car doesn't want to stark right away and starts popping through the exhaust. The car will start after a little bit of cranking, and seems to run good. But I have codes 342 Crank Shaft position sensor, and the same 342 but for Canshaft position sensor. Would these cause the popping through the exhaust, and is there something in particular I should be looking for. Broken, pinched wires, or actual bad sensors? Any way to test them? Thanks
Bill
Old 05-26-2003, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: trouble codes on my LS1 swap.

Sounds like a camshaft/crankshaft sync problem - your car doesn't know if you are on the compression or exhaust stroke. You could check the wires to the camshaft position sensor (back of the block/intake manifold), and you may need to replace this sensor - that would be my first guess.

Old 05-26-2003, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

If the cam and crank sensors and their wires are fine then it maybe that the PCM needs to relearn/resync the crank sensor.
You need like a Tech -II or Ease Pro scanner and send the command to tell PCM to relearn position of crank sensor.
Anytime a new or different PCM is installed or sensors were disturbed the PCM has to relearn the start and end points of sensor wheel and only way is to have RPMS up to like 4,800 RPMS and then send the crank sensor relearn request command.

I had my codes read at Auto Zone, because the car doesn't want to stark right away and starts popping through the exhaust. The car will start after a little bit of cranking, and seems to run good. But I have codes 342 Crank Shaft position sensor, and the same 342 but for Canshaft position sensor. Would these cause the popping through the exhaust, and is there something in particular I should be looking for. Broken, pinched wires, or actual bad sensors? Any way to test them? Thanks
Bill
Old 05-27-2003, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Where would I be able to take it to get the computer to relearn the crank sensor? Is there any way to test the cam sensor, to see if thats the problem before I try to get the PCM trained?
Thanks for the replys
Old 05-27-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

well it turns out I didnt have the Cam sensor plugged in. Boy dont I feel like a dumb a$$.
Oh well at least it was a cheap fix.