New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing/spuddering problem, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing/spuddering problem, need help!

For some reason my car feels like it is missing or something. When I am accelerating it sorta spudders and the service engine light flashes. I took it up to the dealer and they hooked the scanner up to it and said it was throwing out O2 sensor codes. So I replaced the O2 sensors, took it to a auto part store and had the codes cleared out. Problem still exists. So next I changed the spark plugs and wires. Problem still exists. I really have no idea where else to go with this. The car has head, cam, full exhaust basically the whole nine yards. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

A flashing SES light means there is a serious misfire. Could be one of more cylinders. I would first invest in your own code scanner, you can get an Actron one from your local auto parts store for around $100, its an invaluable tool to have. Then hook it up, and see if you can pinpoint which cylinder(s) ar misfiring. Then you can swap the coil packs between 2 cylinders, and see of the misfire changes to another cylinder. That will tell you if you have a bad coil pack.

Start there, and see what you can find out from that.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Well we hooked it up to the scan tool at the GM dealer after it had been doing this and it showed none of the cylinders had missed. So any other ideas? Thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blueZ28beast
Well we hooked it up to the scan tool at the GM dealer after it had been doing this and it showed none of the cylinders had missed. So any other ideas? Thanks
Thats weird...a flashing SES light indicates a misfire. I've never heard it meaning anything else. Basically its telling you that you have a misfire that is bad enough to damage the catalytic converters. Not sure what to tell you then.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Thats weird...a flashing SES light indicates a misfire. I've never heard it meaning anything else. Basically its telling you that you have a misfire that is bad enough to damage the catalytic converters. Not sure what to tell you then.
I am willing to bet that the misfire is probably what killed the o2 sensor, followed by clearing the codes and changing the plugs and wires... I would definitely swap coil packs and go from there. You will find the misfire soon enough. Easiest way is to go buy a coil pack (just one). and swap it from cylinder to cylinder until the misfire goes away. Also check the gapping on the spark plugs, and if that doesn't solve it, bring it to a mechanic/ tuner and check it out.

Another thing to do is use a little bit of dialetric grease on all of the boots of the spark plug wires, i know I had a wire arcing once, and it was a pain in the **** to find, until the ceramic of the spark plug had burnt off.