Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter problems, Can't they go bad???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifter problems, Can't they go bad???

I have a Hurst billet plus shifter that i got from e-bay, i installed it 2 months ago and worked great! A week ago i was driving down the highway and i heard this bump and felt it on my shifter like something hit my tranny i slowed down and didn't seem like anything was wrong so i went on, later that day i tried to back out my drive way and i couldn't get it into reverse the only way i can shift to reverse is if i try really hard. Now i can't shift to 2nd, 4th, 6th whats going on??? Could it be the shifter or tranny??? PLEASE HELP!!
Old 08-24-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you driving down the highway, or were you "driving driving" down the highway . Check the little plastic cup underneath the shifter. The gm ones are notorious for breaking. If that's not it, then it's internal. Syncho's, or forks. Best of luck.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Thank you very much i'll check that plastic cup
Old 08-25-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
Were you driving down the highway, or were you "driving driving" down the highway . Check the little plastic cup underneath the shifter. The gm ones are notorious for breaking. If that's not it, then it's internal. Syncho's, or forks. Best of luck.
little plastic cup? I know what your talking about, they use them on most cars, but when i took my tranny out mine was metal and looked strong as ****. dont know if it was stock or not. it would be news to me if they came with the plastic ones. sounds like synchros, but i havent heard of so many going bad that fast. unless you drive the **** out of it all the time
Old 08-25-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My stock one was plastic. It was trashed when I took the tranny out to be rebuilt. It came abck with a brass one from 6speed inc.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Banned Village Idiot

No i don't drive the **** out of it... sometimes when theres cars that want to play i go for ittt and this is my weekend/ night car but in the another hand i did buy it used with 60K it has 70K now... but i'll check out that plastic cup... I hope thats it!!!!