Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Much needed help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Much needed help

Whats up guys, I have an electrical problem and I figured I would ask you guys before I take it anywhere else to try and get it fixed. Something is drawing juice from the battery, and drawing it FAST. It has an underdrive pulley and i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. The alternator is fairly new. When i charge the battery and get it to 13 volts (the middle where its supposed to be), i start the car and i can run the car for only 3 mins before it dies again. Any suggestions?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

have the alternator tested at a parts store to see if its bad.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

looks like i'm towing it to an alternator/starter guy. he doesnt think its the alternator becuase its fairly new. when you put on an underdrive, are you supposed to put on a different pulley on the alternator to compensate?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not sure if thats required but usually when ppl add a underdrive crank pulley they also swap the pulley on the alternator as well, hope you get that fixed man, i know my Z irritates me, just always seems to be something goin wrong!!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, the guys charges around 65 an hour which is alright. I brought it in today and he said he'd look at it today and find out whats wrong so thats good. i'm gunna drive by on my way to work shortly to see if he moved the car at all
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Did you have anything electrical done to the car recently? No new amps, car alarms or anything that could be drawing power? If not then I would blame your battery or alternator. The pulley shouldn't have much to do with it if you still have the stock sized alternator pulley on.

Be careful on that $65 an hour guy, that sounds a bit steep... There are plenty of places that would test that stuff for free.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

I actually just bought the car and there is no aftermarket speakers/amps. the cd player is currently unplugged right now. I bought the car knowing about an electrical problem and i figured i would fix it myself. I picked up the car on friday night with a new battery in it and within 45 mins of driving it went dead. Supposedly there was a new alternator AND wires to the alternator put in. Wires possible crossed somewhere??

Oh and another question??? what fuse does #15 go to?? cuz the previous owner took that out and set it in the middle compartment. I'm guessing its the cd player fuse?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Oh and another thing... I stopped by after work to see where he was keeping the car so i looked in the garage and i see this S-10 up on the car lift and what do you know... my car sitting right underneath the S-10 on the lift, looking like its about to get crushed.. made me a little uneasy..
Old 08-31-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hedsNcam88
Oh and another thing... I stopped by after work to see where he was keeping the car so i looked in the garage and i see this S-10 up on the car lift and what do you know... my car sitting right underneath the S-10 on the lift, looking like its about to get crushed.. made me a little uneasy..

I bet!

Anything that could pull enough juice to drain the battery in 3 minutes should be blowing fuses and breakers. Is it really that quick? Let us know how this turns out.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Well i got the car back yesterday morning and so far its holding its charge. The guy checked all the wires to and from the alternator and he said they were fine. He just thinks it was a bad/defective alternator. I just hope i dont start dropping voltage again. With a new alternator, labor and tax, it came out to 140 which i thought wasnt bad. Now that i realize its the alternator i probably should of done it myself.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have an underdrive pulley, you need an alternator overdrive pulley. IMO the horsepower the underdrive pulley gives you isn't worth the headaches that it also gives you. There is usually more problems with an auto than an m6
Old 09-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah but i couldnt help it, it came on the car when i bought it, and i cant get ahold of him to get the stock pulley. At a stop light or when i'm at a stand still, the voltage dips and the meter jumps a little, but nothing big.