Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Which Clutch Master Cylinder do you recommend?
GM Stock
31.11%
GM W/ Adjustable Conversion
28.89%
Ram Adjustable Master Cylinder
15.56%
McLeod Clutch Master Cylinder
24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on Clutch Master Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll on Clutch Master Cylinders

Which clutch master cylinder do you recommend and WHY? Anyone with experience, I would appreciate your input. Tried you use search with no luck.

1. GM Stock
2. GM W/ Adjustable Conversion
3. Ram Adjustable Master Cylinder
4. McLeod Clutch Master Cylinder

Thanks,
Justin
Old 08-25-2007, 12:09 PM
wrencher

Depends upon what you need IMO. The clutch set up you run is what dictates what you need.
A GM stocker is the most dependable though.......
Old 08-25-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well since the first three are all bassically the same master there's really only 2 choices. The ram is the same spec's as a gm just adjutable it woul't surprise me if its made in the same factory in mexico as the gm. The mcleod seems to be hit or miss some love it some have nothing but trouble. Like stated above the gm is the most dependable.

Not to hijack the thread but can someone tell me the benifits of an adjustable master or why you might need one? Don't plan on putting one in, I have a fairly new stocker but would just like to learn why one would use an adjustable.

Last edited by JonB; 08-25-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:47 PM
wrencher

The adjustable master gives you the ability to adjust the free play out of the pedal.
Sometimes there can be alot there, so you have to push the pedal down further due to it.
Adjusting it out will aid in shift feel & high rpm/powershifting.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Launching!

i've had the "ram" adjustable for about 8k miles (not much i know) but it works perfect. it's the same as stock but adjustable and costs close to the price of a stocker. you can set the release point wherever you want it. i figured the stock ones work for a very long time anyway so there's no point going for something that costs more than twice as much and will prolly give you headaches (aka McLeod). just my $.02
Old 08-25-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a stock master for about 40k. After I installed heads/cam, it wasnt cutting it anymore. I couldnt shift for ****. It just wouldn't release the clutch without a long delay. I ordered a McLeod, bled and adjusted it, and it' been great since.

Not only is the McLeod adjustable, but it has "more *****" to put it in lamen's terms.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

mcleod here, so far so good. I am just not 100% sure if the clutch is fully engaging or not. Dont get me wrong, everything works and feels great. But nobody seems to know how to test this. My pedal engages pretty high, but i had to adjust the master like that for it to fully disengage. Anyone?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

I just picked up the McLeod Clutch Master Cylinder and the LS7 Clutch Kit. Going to install next weekend. Will let you know how it is.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wrencher
Depends upon what you need IMO. The clutch set up you run is what dictates what you need.
A GM stocker is the most dependable though.......
Nothing extreem, 470hp, Spec 3+, stock Trans. Dependability is a concern for me.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Not to hijack the thread but can someone tell me the benifits of an adjustable master or why you might need one? Don't plan on putting one in, I have a fairly new stocker but would just like to learn why one would use an adjustable.[/QUOTE]

No worries, im courious about that to.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

I couldnt get my mcleod clutch to disengage on the stock master. After the install, with the old master on it, and while the car was in the air. I couldnt get the tires to be still with it in gear and with my foot all the way down on the pedal.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

sorry I cant help...just want to know about this as well....

Chad
Old 08-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by taws6m6
mcleod here, so far so good. I am just not 100% sure if the clutch is fully engaging or not. Dont get me wrong, everything works and feels great. But nobody seems to know how to test this. My pedal engages pretty high, but i had to adjust the master like that for it to fully disengage. Anyone?
That another thing the concerns me. How do you know it is adjusted right, so that there is no play in the petals but the slave is not riding the pressure plate? That would cause a lot of wear on the throw out bearing, and not to mention cause a premature death to the clutch.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by taws6m6
I couldnt get my mcleod clutch to disengage on the stock master. After the install, with the old master on it, and while the car was in the air. I couldnt get the tires to be still with it in gear and with my foot all the way down on the pedal.

I had the same problem...

Thats because the Mcleod clutch requires the Mcleod master. Its not because of the adjustablility, its because the Mcleod unit has a larger bore than the stocker. Therefore it pushes the slave out farther. The fingers on the Mcleod require more throw to disengage. Sucks because they never told me that, and I had already bought a new GM master. Luckily I got a Mcleod for free from a friend. Those ****** things are so damned expensive. Its cool having good friends

...This brings me to another point. I hate this damned Mcleod master. It bypasses fluid because they have a rough spot in it that tears the O rings. From what ive seen this only happens to about half the people that own them, and I was an unlucky one. Next time I rebuild it ill have to have to hone it and hope it works. 4th rebuild and its been honed once. Apparently I didnt hone it enough...

...Also, its hopeless to call Mcleod and get help from them. They dont care because they already have your money. At least thats the impression I got.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas

...This brings me to another point. I hate this damned Mcleod master. It bypasses fluid because they have a rough spot in it that tears the O rings. From what ive seen this only happens to about half the people that own them, and I was an unlucky one. Next time I rebuild it ill have to have to hone it and hope it works. 4th rebuild and its been honed once. Apparently I didnt hone it enough...

...Also, its hopeless to call Mcleod and get help from them. They dont care because they already have your money. At least thats the impression I got.

I had the exact issue with my McCrap MC and got the same exact feeling when I called. I won't use any of their stuff even if was given to me. More trouble than it's worth.

Put my stock one back in the shifting problems went away.

Let's not even talk about they sent me the wrong TO Bearing one for a C5 Vette vice my Fbody. Discovered that after installing and removing the trans about 5 times. Only thing they seem good at is taking your money.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

...And I STILL agree. I recently had to call them for something else and immediatly remembered why I hate them so much. I hear ya, I wouldnt even take their **** if it was free anymore.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
...And I STILL agree. I recently had to call them for something else and immediatly remembered why I hate them so much. I hear ya, I wouldnt even take their **** if it was free anymore.
The Mcleod street twin is the best streetable high performance clutch on the market. The rest of the clutch world relies on the GM OEM hydraulics that are **** poor at best.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you figure? ive never had a problem with the GM stuff. The Mcleod is nothing BUT problems. At the end of the say, their customer service still leaves something to be desired
Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by gearjammer78
That another thing the concerns me. How do you know it is adjusted right, so that there is no play in the petals but the slave is not riding the pressure plate? That would cause a lot of wear on the throw out bearing, and not to mention cause a premature death to the clutch.
Read the stock adjustable master sticky thread. At the bottom of the 1st post in the thread there is a description just how to adjust them.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by david vericker
The Mcleod street twin is the best streetable high performance clutch on the market. The rest of the clutch world relies on the GM OEM hydraulics that are **** poor at best.
I have a McLeod twin & I love the clutch.
But I have had problems w/the master. Once I rebuilt it & honed it out well all problem subsided.
The difference is the stock master bore is roughly 3/4".
The McLeod is 13/16" bore.
The master will just push that much more volume of fluid for the same distance stroke traveled. It is basic hydaulic's.
With adjustability & the proper adjustment it can be much better than stock set up. But it has to work correctly to achieve this

Quick Reply: Poll on Clutch Master Cylinders