General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

someone help me please!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone help me please!!!!!!!!

i have a problem with my car starting and i don tknow the way of fixing it. the problem is that when i turn the key over it cuts off all my lights and i get no sound from the starter or the little clicking you hear when you batt is dead. the thing that throws me in a loop is that to get it started you need to shift the car in and out of gears fast. i am in iraq and i need my car started but my wife is not the most mechanically enclined. i have replaced the clutch pedal senson (accually my wife did good job on her part) and since its seems to be the cheapest fix it didnt work. i dont htink its the starter cus when i do get it started it sounds fine but i am not sure. the only other things i can think of are my iginition, iginition relay switch, starter relay, perhaps my key is fucked up (the little chip on the side), or the starter. if any one can help it woul dbe great and if any one know if the tranny is somehow connected to startign please help me. thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't think it's the resistor in the key (VATS), that wouldn't cut your lights off and should give you a flashing security light on the instrument panel. Does it start normally after doing the gear shifter routine? If it's turning over slower I'm thinking battery or terminals, first thing I'd check is battery voltage/load test it. Maybe turning the key on is draining the last bit of energy left.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

nothign happens when i turn the key and do my shift routine. all the interior lights shut off no starter noises, nothing. if i hold the key in and do it after a while it will just start up with out and hessiation or foul noises.

i talked to a guy i worked with and he said it might be my neutral safety switch. does this sound right to anyone?

Last edited by krink85; 08-27-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Don't think it's the resistor in the key (VATS), that wouldn't cut your lights off and should give you a flashing security light on the instrument panel. Does it start normally after doing the gear shifter routine? If it's turning over slower I'm thinking battery or terminals, first thing I'd check is battery voltage/load test it. Maybe turning the key on is draining the last bit of energy left.
I agree with this. Start by checking your voltage when you try to start it. If your voltage is fine then I would start with the vats. I've seen two cars where the ingintion(part of vats) got worn out and the car would do nothing at all when you went to start it but the security light would come on unlike yours where it is not.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

where do i check this voltage at?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Teching In

I had the exact same thing happen to my car last friday, to the tee. I took my car to school then drove it back home. About an hour or so later I went to start it and nothing happened and all my lights shut off in the car. So that night I took the starter off and tested with a 12 volt source and sure enough the sprocket on the inside would turn but it wouldnt kick out to turn the car over. But the funny thing was, is that when it was on the car it wouldnt even make that noise or even try to start, no clicking or sputtering, just dead silence. So after testing the shitty starter I put on a new one from advanced auto parts and now it works just fine. It was 159.97 with a $55 core charge. It took me an hour to take it off since I had never done this before and 30 minutes to put a new one on. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

yeah its giving me ideas i thinki am gogin to change out my starter and the neutral safety switch when i get home.