General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery/Alternator Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery/Alternator Question

OK, my battery wasn't holding a very good charge. It was about to enter the red on the meter, held there for like 3-weeks. I decided to go ahead and replace the battery and alternator at the same time. Take any question away as to where the problem lied and just fix it before it got me stuck somewhere.
After replacing both the meter read 13. Normal right, then by the end of the night it starting going down again. I barely made it home, battery wasn't even reading, no lights, just running off motor. Battery can be charged but just dies again. Think its a bad alternator or something to do with the connection between the two??
Old 08-25-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the voltage across the battery terminals and see what you're getting. Is it a reman alternator? Friend of mine went through a couple parts store units and they didn't work, a new GM alt fixed his charging problem. My stock gauge always reads just above 13 even when warm, higher on a cold start.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Check the voltage across the battery terminals and see what you're getting. Is it a reman alternator? Friend of mine went through a couple parts store units and they didn't work, a new GM alt fixed his charging problem. My stock gauge always reads just above 13 even when warm, higher on a cold start.

Yea, listen to the man. I went through seven, count them SEVEN in a year because I figured I'd come out ahead and if it went out, I only pay for labor. WRONG! I was finally convinced to go with a HI LO one and havent had any problems in about 5 months now.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I put on a reman- AC delco from GM and it lasted 90 miles. So I just bought a brand new one from the parts store and I've had no problems.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

ive gone through 2. there was a short circuit in mine. theres a couple of ways to check if its your alternator--1, put a screwdriver to the casing of your alternator... (DONT STICK IT IN SIDE WHILE ITS TURNING!! ) just tap the outside. if it magnetically sticks to it, it should be ok. the best way, is to turn your engine on, then disconnect the negative terminal from your battery. if your car dies, your alternator is busted... probably the regulator in it. time for replacement!

i bought the re-manufactured one from Autozone.. it has a lifetime guarantee. so if by any chance it craps out on me again, i can just take it out and replace it for free
Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VtecDis
ive gone through 2. there was a short circuit in mine. theres a snip snip alternator is busted... probably the regulator in it. time for replacement!

i bought the re-manufactured one from Autozone.. it has a lifetime guarantee. so if by any chance it craps out on me again, i can just take it out and replace it for free
Careful with those from Autozone buddy, those were/are the same ones I went through 7 times in a year. I thought the same but whether your doing it by yourself or paying somebody it gets very tedius after the 3rd time. I said Hi Lo above but I mean O'Reilys is working better for me.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

maybe your exaltation wire(i think this is the name) is disconnected happen to me couple of times
Old 08-28-2007, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
Careful with those from Autozone buddy, those were/are the same ones I went through 7 times in a year. I thought the same but whether your doing it by yourself or paying somebody it gets very tedius after the 3rd time. I said Hi Lo above but I mean O'Reilys is working better for me.

haha yeah.. it was a hassle the 2nd time around.. i feel like a pro @ changing alternators now.. i dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing
Old 08-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Launching!

haha yeah.. it was a hassle the 2nd time around.. i feel like a pro @ changing alternators now.. i dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing
It's a good thing because you get the experience and later are able to change your alternator with your eyes closed but it's a bitch if you have to pay somebody to do it over and over again. At least I can say after the 3rd time my mechanic could do it with his eyes closed and each time around he was able to change it in lesser of the time than before.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
It's a good thing because you get the experience and later are able to change your alternator with your eyes closed but it's a bitch if you have to pay somebody to do it over and over again. At least I can say after the 3rd time my mechanic could do it with his eyes closed and each time around he was able to change it in lesser of the time than before.

i feel the same way.. but SOB, mine just went out again!! ive noticed that the past 2 times its blown its happened right after ive rev'd it up high and hard... anyone know any other cause of this? do autozone's alternators really cant handle it????
Old 09-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Teching In

i feel the same way.. but SOB, mine just went out again!! ive noticed that the past 2 times its blown its happened right after ive rev'd it up high and hard... anyone know any other cause of this? do autozone's alternators really cant handle it????
Form what I've read around they seem to be a pos. I looked around in the audio section of this place and found that the alterstart alternators come highly recommended, here's the one I recently bought which arrived yesterday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130099219015

It cost me around $300 for the alt, 4 gauge cable and the three day shipping. It's a hefty price tag, but I'd rather be rid of this problem once and for all and also the 100amps is a nice extra. Will be installing it myself tomorrow (while I'm in there I'll also change the belt), until then I'll be reading a lot of threads in this place since I'm rather nervous about doing this since I'm no mechanic.

Their alts are bigger than the stuck so if you have a performance pulley you might have some problems with it and it only uses two of the three mounting bolts.

If you have anymore questions regarding their alts, I suggest you ask this guy since most of the stuff I read was posted by him.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?userid=26713

BTW got any advice for a first timer?

Do you use a tq wrench or do you go by feel?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen those alternators and am in the market as well. I've been running off the stocker for 176,000 miles with a sizeable audio system in the car from 120,000 miles. After looking at my current audio set up I was thinking about the other one they sell that has 160amps. The stock one is 105amps...so I figured the 160amp one would be sufficient. Plus I run an Optima battery so between the 2 I should be ok!!
Old 09-01-2007, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

geezus Christ thats a LOT of money for an alternator.. but its probably damn well worth it.. paying $130 for the Autozone one and already changing it 3 times is a real pain in the ****.

some tips--
of course the usual..
-disconnect the battery
-take off the airbox and the 2 electrical plugs. u wont be able to remove and put the belt back with the airbox in the way
-cover your throttle body and (stock?) air filter so no dirt gets in/on it.
-u will need a 13mm ratcheting wrench for the rear screw of the alternator... it was damn hard to reach it with a regular ratchet and socket.
-trying removing the alternator first w/out the bracket.. it will be 1 less screw u will have to remove and put back. u might have to wiggle it around to get it out but i will be less time consuming when doing so. and yes, i just went by feel.. i should use my pop's tq wrench, but i rarely use it

good luck, let me know if u have any other questions

Last edited by VtecDis; 09-01-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I've seen those alternators and am in the market as well. I've been running off the stocker for 176,000 miles with a sizeable audio system in the car from 120,000 miles. After looking at my current audio set up I was thinking about the other one they sell that has 160amps. The stock one is 105amps...so I figured the 160amp one would be sufficient. Plus I run an Optima battery so between the 2 I should be ok!!
Damn your stocker lasted 176,000 miles, mine crapped out at 20,000 with a stock audio system and an optima.

Yeah it's probably a better idea to get the 160amp one (depending on it's price), I couldn't find a lower one than 200amps on their eBay page so I went with that one. Probably should of checked with them on their home page, but I was in a hurry to get it fixed.

http://superpageshosting.com/4alters...8&catuid=10155

geezus Christ thats a LOT of money for an alternator.. but its probably damn well worth it.. paying $130 for the Autozone one and already changing it 3 times is a real pain in the ****.

some tips--
of course the usual..
-disconnect the battery
-take off the airbox and the 2 electrical plugs. u wont be able to remove and put the belt back with the airbox in the way
-cover your throttle body and (stock?) air filter so no dirt gets in/on it.
-u will need a 13mm ratcheting wrench for the rear screw of the alternator... it was damn hard to reach it with a regular ratchet and socket.
-trying removing the alternator first w/out the bracket.. it will be 1 less screw u will have to remove and put back. u might have to wiggle it around to get it out but i will be less time consuming when doing so.

good luck, let me know if u have any other questions
They also sell some other cheaper units, but I couldn't find them on ebay. You could try emailing them for a price quote.

Will do, thanks for the advice

Last edited by Black Hawk; 09-01-2007 at 06:37 PM.