Sponsored by:

A few Noob questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Noob questions!

Hello guys!

I am fairly new here, and am definitely new to my car.

Its a 2002 Z28 M6.

I don't have a picture of the question I am about to ask, but I am sure you all will know what I am talking about.

If you pop the hood, along the drivers side inner fender, there is a large black rubber hose. It goes somewhere around the clutch/brake fluid reservoirs to the front of the car, like somewhere inside the front bumper/fender. There are a few more rubber hoses around there as well.

What is this for? Where does each end go? Can I remove it?

Also... Are there any smog items on this car that I can remove? I have no type of inspection here in Florida.

So far I've only got, FRA, K+N, Had a shop fab me up a new Y pipe, and a dynomax bullet dump b4 the axle. I am looking for all other things I can do to free up some extra HP.

In the next few weeks, I'll be ordering Headers/y-pipe and a catback. I think I am going to go w/ 1-7/8 Kooks and a magnaflow.

I have plans of Cam only in the next 2 months or so, and then next 6 months, a set of heads. Until then, how bad will the 1-7/8 headers be hurting me?

Also, what are some budget heads that I can begin looking at?

Those are my basic questions. Sorry if its a bit jumbled, but I am half asleep still, and figured I'd post.

Thanks for any answers! And hope I don't get flamed! Remember, this is newb tech! =]
Old 08-26-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

that would be ur air pump hose, and yes u can remove it, its in one of the stickeis i think
for mods, texas-speed, or thunder racing both are sponsers>>>>>>>>>>
have great deals
Old 08-26-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
that would be ur air pump hose, and yes u can remove it, its in one of the stickeis i think
for mods, texas-speed, or thunder racing both are sponsers>>>>>>>>>>
have great deals
+1 on texas-speed good peoples

Heres the link on AIR removal
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=air+removal
Old 08-26-2007, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys!

I guess that is something that I will do when I do my headers. No sense on buying block off plates for the manifolds!

Also.... Since I got my exhaust fabbed up. If I am WOT or Just free revving the motor... After 3,000 RPM's I get this crazy whistle noise from the engine bay. Everyone looks over like the dang this is supercharged.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

thats ur air pump again, once u get more mods and its time for a tune, ask them to tune it out
Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Teching In

florida hell yeah me too. Magnaflows are nice
Old 08-26-2007, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

When should I schedule a tune on my mod list?

A tune is needed after headers correct? How about if I PP my throttle body?

Another noob Question...

What should I gap my plugs at? I thought it was .055 but when I looked at the NGK TR55's at discount auto, they said .040 max.

Thanks again guys!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Default Headers

Are you doing these yourself? If so make certain all the kiddies are off the streets so that you dont damage and teach them few extra 4 letter words.
Not a easy propostion but it can be done.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

CamAro242 ... I think its because I am on quite a few pain pills (from breaking my toe! lol). But it took me like 30 times of re-reading that and to understand...

But lol, thats funny.

Yes, I will be doing it myself. I do 99.9% of things myself. Its just that I am new to this type of car.

My first car was an 87 Trans am with a 305... Went to 350 at age 16... And age 17 I bought my ZZ502... At 17, I also bought my 1972 Buick Skylark. Last year I finally had to call the Trans Am quits after I blew the rear end, and Didn't have any money. I parted the car out, and still only have the motor left. (I would like to trade the ZZ502 for LSX parts, but I doubt it'll happen.) I am selling it by word of mouth, but not too serious about it. I am kinda wanting to find a 68-70 Nova or a Chevy Vega for a cool drag car... But back on track... Now that I am 20, and bought this car... I am use to all the newer Emissions, Fuel Injection, etc...

All above cars are bought and paid for 100% by me.

But after all of these cars, I have learned to not buy everything new from Jegs/Summit... You can find stuff barely used, or from other websites for much cheaper prices!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:36 PM

That hose is part of the AIR system. Has an airpump under the fuse box under the hood. It is part of your emissions system and needs to be tunned out if you remove it.
You will also need to make block of plates for your exhaust manifolds if you take it out. There is a write up on how to remove it under AIR system. Use the search to find it.