LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust

i'm about to buy pacesetter headers with y-pipe. i plan on doing the install i was hoping someone could tell me what i'm getting myself into. would there be any welding involved? please pm me if you have any advice or tips thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

no welding involved unless you just want to...the y pipe may give you a lil fit but nothing a pry bar wont overcome...its not that bad..just pace yourself and dont expect everything to go over like butter.it takes some time..and bolting the headers up with the motor in the car is lil bit of a headache..again just take your time
Old 08-26-2007, 12:18 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

PITA PITA PITA PITA PITA. I had my heads off my car when i installed my shortys and it sucked still. I got it though but if i had to do it again i would not be happy.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Launching!

im not sure if you will run into this but my y was short and i had to get a extension piece to go from the y to my cat back. I was also told this was normal and most of them are shipped this way.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
PITA PITA PITA PITA PITA. I had my heads off my car when i installed my shortys and it sucked still. I got it though but if i had to do it again i would not be happy.

It's a tight place to work, The PS Lt's Fit right and do what the a designed to do and thats make power. I made about 18+ Ft LBs after the LTinstall on the same cat back. Pull all the plugs and let the wires hang. Remove the oil filter and stock exhaust ( it's the worst part ) and please dont use the PS header bolts. Get some stainless and use some Mr gasket Ultra seals gaskets. You can find all of that at AutoZone or most local parts stores. Make sure the nose is up as high as you can get it that will help with the way you have to slide in the drivers side header. I've dont it 5 times on mine and about 4 other LT1's owned by friends. Pm me and i can damn near draw it out for you.

Look luck
Old 08-26-2007, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

No welding, but clamps suck!
Did the headers on my 05 GTO. Never again. We spent ten hours on a lift and still had to have welding done, twice. If you have a shop do it, great. DIY? I would not recommend it unless you really want to make yourself crazy. I agree, PITA!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6spd97ta
im not sure if you will run into this but my y was short and i had to get a extension piece to go from the y to my cat back. I was also told this was normal and most of them are shipped this way.
what brand was that..I didnt have to use an extension on my pacesetters if thats the ones your talking about..I dont recall anyone saying that they had to do that...I really didnt think it was that bad putting mine in...but thats just me
Old 08-26-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

If you do it yourself plan on a full day or weekend.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3pnt4maro
what brand was that..I didnt have to use an extension on my pacesetters if thats the ones your talking about..I dont recall anyone saying that they had to do that...I really didnt think it was that bad putting mine in...but thats just me

It was the pace setter long tubes, ory i was about a foot short to my corsa cat back. It was kinda aggrivating if you know what i mean. I never cut the ory or the i pipe from the cat back either
Old 08-26-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm thats odd...

Quick Reply: exhaust