Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a sheet metal intake for a street car

Old 08-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building a sheet metal intake for a street car

Hi everybody. I'm a new member starting my first ls1 build. I'm using an LQ4 truck motor with ported 317 heads and probably a G5X3 cam. I'll be building headers because none are available for the 71 Corvette that the motor is going in.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss intake parameters for a street car. I'm okay with losing some power down low, but I would prefer not to give up more than 15 lb/ft or so over an FAST intake. I built a sheet metal intake for my 406 SBC, so I know how to build, but I want this one to make more power under the curve than my current motor while still breathing up top. Runner length, taper, and plenum design are what I'm interested in here. I was thinking of doing a crossram setup to get the runner length up. I'm not limited by hood clearance like an F body.

I'm building my own intake because I don't want to spend $1300 on a FAST 90/90 setup and I don't want to be limited by the intake for higher rpm/valve lift flow. And, of course, for the oooooh factor.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Looks like this is in the wrong section. Mods please move to External Engine.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Launching!

56 views and no one has any ideas?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seems to me like the people with the know-how to do this are the ones who keep it a secret and dark art. I'd love to do something badass like a SMI.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:39 PM
IMD
Banned

its going to take quite a bit of R&D to come up with something better than the fast, or the carb style manifold from GMPP or edelbrock. these intakes are already on motors making more than 1000 hp. personally, i think the carb style manifold, with a sheetmetal elbow from wilson, or the like, looks pretty killer, even if your motor isnt all that serious....which it sounds like it isnt. if power is actually a priority for you, you'd probably be better off sticking with one of these instead of putting in a ton of hours building something that will probably suck. but, thats just like, my opinion...maaan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Building a sheet metal intake for a street car