Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting problems.. Replaced everything.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting problems.. Replaced everything.

My SS is having some shifting problems. Its got 70k miles on it. Brand new LS2/LS7 clutch, LS1 throwout bearing, GM OEM Master/slave. Fresh DOT4 (Penzoil). Fresh ATF.

The weird thing is, its completely random. For some odd reason, from a stop, if I'm in neutral, it takes alot of force to get into 1st. If I pop it into 1st as I'm coming down, then when I come to a complete stop and take it out, it goes in smoothly.

Then randomly while I'm driving, it gets hard to put it into gear then it goes away. The gear seems to not matter, all of them get hard to put it in.

The really odd thing is, it seems like the harder I drive my car the better it runs. If I'm babying it, shifting slowly, it runs like complete ****.. hard to put it into gear, clunking, etc. If I'm driving like a pissed off teenager, it runs like brand new.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

i am having a similar prob and have done the same install parts as you, hell mine wont go into reverse with the car running, hard to shift but will shift well when hammerin' it, please some chime in, and yes i have already had the system vacuum bled so bleeding is not the issue, all help appreciated
Old 08-27-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't read anything about the LS7 clutch in the F-Bodys but is it possible u guys need a shim behind ur slave? sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:16 PM
wrencher

Sure you dont have hydraulic issues?

Pedal feel good? or does it have alot of cush/freeplay?
Might want to modify the master to an adjustable one also .
Seen that cure alot of problems.
Read the stickies at the top of this forum^^^^^^^
Old 08-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Engagement is spot on though. I let the clutch out and half way, like everything I've read, is when it engages. I also remember reading a shim not being necessary.. but it could of been false information.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
I haven't read anything about the LS7 clutch in the F-Bodys but is it possible u guys need a shim behind ur slave? sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way.
thats exactly what i was thinking, doesnt feel like it is fully disengaging, where can i get a shim?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wrencher
Sure you dont have hydraulic issues?

Pedal feel good? or does it have alot of cush/freeplay?
Might want to modify the master to an adjustable one also .
Seen that cure alot of problems.
Read the stickies at the top of this forum^^^^^^^
My pedal feels fine.. pressure feels great throughout it. I really hope its not a shim issue, since I'm NOT taking that effing tranny off again.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

my pedal feels great also, i want to know more about the shim
Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

I have the same problem mine have 18,000 miles on it every once and a while it feels like it blocks me out of gear then i try agian and it goes in with a little added force. Sometimes mine is more notchy then others also. I just drive it cram it into gear when it needs it and the hell with it. I'm not gonna waste all this money trying to fix it is nothing really broke and its just a pain in the *** every now and agian.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Launching!

No shim for the LS7, verified in the LS7 clutch post a few threads down. 2 pages of guys saying no shim, and direct bolt-in replacement. Back to the drawing board.

Did you guys replace your slave cylinder and put the remote bleeder on, by any chance?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:42 AM
TECH Addict

maybe it needs a shim in some applications, they just havent dealt with one
Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Launching!

That doesn't make any sense though, as the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate are all exactly the same in every application.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

temporarily blocking gears is part of the t-56, in the owners manual it says somewhere that if you are blocked from a gear to put the stick in neutral and then try to put it back in gear. and i believe that the t-56 is just a notchy transmission.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:19 PM
FormerVendor

Guys, I am currently looking into part variances of the stock hydraulics. Do any of you know if the Slave/Master you purchased is an LS1 or LS7 style. If LS7, what is the part number? Let me know and I will see what i can find for you. Thanks!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

i bought the stock replacement for an '02 Z28 which is the upgraded hydraulic system
Old 08-29-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kozak
temporarily blocking gears is part of the t-56, in the owners manual it says somewhere that if you are blocked from a gear to put the stick in neutral and then try to put it back in gear. and i believe that the t-56 is just a notchy transmission.
there is no putting it into neutral and then it going into gear, it is just hard as hell everytime
Old 08-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just put an LS7 clutch in my wifes 98 WS6 without a shim. She has had no problem with it. What did the pilot bearing look like? Did the trans go in easy or did it take some effort to get it all the way up to the bell housing? If the pilot bearing is not letting the input shaft spin freely it can affect shifting. What shifter are you using?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

pilot is good, tranny went in smoothly once the splines lined up, using the stock hurst shifter, i installed the LS7 originally in february, no probs for six months, went out to car about 3 weeks ago and clutch wouldnt disengage, changed master and slave, same problem, changed clutch, same prob but not as bad, before i couldnt get it in gear, now i can if i put a little umph in it, but still no reverse while car is running, feels like it is not fully disengaging, hence the reason it wont go into reverse while running
Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02silvaZ
pilot is good, tranny went in smoothly once the splines lined up, using the stock hurst shifter, i installed the LS7 originally in february, no probs for six months, went out to car about 3 weeks ago and clutch wouldnt disengage, changed master and slave, same problem, changed clutch, same prob but not as bad, before i couldnt get it in gear, now i can if i put a little umph in it, but still no reverse while car is running, feels like it is not fully disengaging, hence the reason it wont go into reverse while running
Checked tranny fluid?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok these questions may seem random but i was having the same problem with mine till i started doing this.

When you park the car do you leave it in gear? Is it 1st gear? Is your line from the master to the slave heat wrapped?

I was having a issue myself with the 1st gear being hard to get into. For some reason if i leave the car in neutral when i park it, it doesnt do it as much. Now the other thing i noticed is if it is hard to put into gear i just wiggle the stick a little in neutral and then it will pop right in. Just some ideas.