Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans Removal Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Removal Tips?

I am in the process of putting in a LS7 clutch in my camaro. I have the shifter out, trans drained(oil was really dark), exhaust removed, and drive shaft off. I am only working on it about 2 hours a day, due to 10 hour work days and such. Anyway, Any tips on what to remove next? torque arm, cross member? I am going to replace the torque arm with a UMI unit, since I found a small crack in the stock one. I also have a poly trans mount, pilot bearing, and new slave to throw on too. Im just trying to make this as painless as possible, due to doing the swap on the ground with stands. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

You have someone to help you when you pull it? It's kind of pain to do by yourself unless you've got a nice jack to put under it.

Pull the T/A, put a jack under the tranny then pull the xmember. Lower the jack enough to unplug the electrical connectors and remove the trans bolts. Make sure you have one of those two foot extensions and a swivel to get to the bellhousing bolts. The one on the top pax side cane be a bitch cuz the vent tube is in the way.

Good Luck...
Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the trans off the bellhousing first and then remove the bell housing from the block on its own.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Swear, curse, and throw wrenches. Haha honestly, just be patient and dont rush anything. Take your time and do it right, Im in the middle of my transjob and its a pain that i would not like to do again anytime soon.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just pulled mine twice this weekend (Ram changed TQ specs on the twin disc).

this is the steps I did for the fastest/easiest removal...

print off installuniversity instructions so u know what tools u need
remove Y pipe
put jack under tranny, back side of tranny
remove tranny mount and if u want crossmember too
remove T/A and exhaust support from tranny
remove driveshaft
unplug electrical connections
remove bolts from tranny to bellhousing, top right bolt with vent tube and wire bundle is a PITA but take ur time
slide tranny back a lil and unplug slave line with fuel line tool
take ur time and slide tranny out the best u can...best if u have someone there with u
take bellhousing off
then remove clutch

just reverse the steps for install.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

Do not remove the crossmember until you are certain that you have the engine and transmission well supported. Jury-rig a temporary torque arm so you can control the axle housing. I use a 3-feet length of 2-inch steel angle controlled by a scissors jack. It needs to stick out the back. This makes removing and installing the TA easy.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Do not remove the crossmember until you are certain that you have the engine and transmission well supported. Jury-rig a temporary torque arm so you can control the axle housing. I use a 3-feet length of 2-inch steel angle controlled by a scissors jack. It needs to stick out the back. This makes removing and installing the TA easy.
what are u talking about? of course he will have the tranny/engine supported buy the jack being under the tranny...but it has to be removed to get the tranny out. what is this temporary TA u talk about? all he needs to do is AFTER he gets the car in the air on jack stands, get a jack under the rear end and jack it all the way up till it wants to come off the jack stands but DON'T let it. then the bolts will easily slide out of the TA mount from the rear. then he can let down the rear end.

I guess to each is own but that sure is a strange way of doing it.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
Pull the trans off the bellhousing first and then remove the bell housing from the block on its own.
This is way easier IMO.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
Way easier that way rather than pulling the bellhousing/trans as one piece.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blkbird_WS-6
This is way easier IMO.

definately agree with this guy. i just pulled mine a week ago and whoever did the exaughst welded everything solid so no removing the y pipe and it was my first time and i pulled everything at once while the front of the car was up on jackstands. i took off the torque arm and crossmember and all that crap. driveshaft and all the little connectors. when i went to pull it straight back the ears on the bellhousing hit the floor pan and i couldn't pull it straight back. after messing with it for a while a fit of rage came over me and i pushed and pried till the ears bent the floor pan enough to slip by which was really stupid i know all this pressure was on the input shaft. i got lucky i didn't break anything. i would seperate the bellhousing from the tranny first.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

dont drop the torque arm on your head
Old 08-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned

take the intake manifold off then u can get to all the trany bolts from top using a ratchet wrench much easier than doing the 6 extension with a swivel after that put a large floor jack or motorcycle jack under the trany, pump it up slightly then remove the bolts from cross member, then unbolt the 2 top bolt on the tuqre arm mount and spread the mount open careful it will pop out and slam into the bottom of your car now it will be free from the trany, then slide the trany back and lower it, your car is going to have to have be nice and high to get it out from under it, unless you slide the trany off the jack on to a piece of broad and then slide it out on that
Old 08-29-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

ignore EVERYTHING transam45 just said

it is NOT easier to take the intake manifold off to get to the tranny bolts...I don't even think it's possible, you do NOT have to use "6" extensions AND a swivel. All u need is a 15mm socket 2 10" and possibly a 6" extention and if u take the TQ arm out the way I said it it will NOT slam into the bottom of ur car.

if the guy hasn't already finished by now I'm sure he has enough "help" from us so...this thread should be over.

Last edited by Screamin_Z; 08-29-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

Screamin_Z: said

i have done it both ways and taking off the intake is so much easyer

yes it is thake the intake off you can get to all the bolts ive done it several times how about you try it before you talk s**t and i didnt mean like it was going to rip a hole threw the floor board but it does pop up from the rear end weight and look at a digram off a ls1 look were the trany bolts are right behind the intake
Old 08-29-2007, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by transam45
Screamin_Z: said

i have done it both ways and taking off the intake is so much easyer

yes it is thake the intake off you can get to all the bolts ive done it several times how about you try it before you talk s**t and i didnt mean like it was going to rip a hole threw the floor board but it does pop up from the rear end weight and look at a digram off a ls1 look were the trany bolts are right behind the intake
that is just a complete waste of time pulling the intake.
remove in this order....
driveshaft
torque arm
wiring
line from master to slave
crossmember
trans
bellhousing
clutch
flywheel

reverse order to install
Old 08-29-2007, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkbird_WS-6
This is way easier IMO.
+1 on that
Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

had a buddy come over today, got the trans, bell housing, clutch and flywheel pulled out in around 1.5 hours. This is what the clutch looked liked. You can see the bad spot in the pressure plate on the right. I cut my finger on it the spot was so rough. Thanks for the help

Last edited by seawolf18; 08-30-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get on a lift. Driving the car on the lift to having the tranny on the ground takes 25 minutes.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transam45
take the intake manifold off then u can get to all the trany bolts from top using a ratchet wrench much easier than doing the 6 extension with a swivel after that put a large floor jack or motorcycle jack under the trany, pump it up slightly then remove the bolts from cross member, then unbolt the 2 top bolt on the tuqre arm mount and spread the mount open careful it will pop out and slam into the bottom of your car now it will be free from the trany, then slide the trany back and lower it, your car is going to have to have be nice and high to get it out from under it, unless you slide the trany off the jack on to a piece of broad and then slide it out on that
You dont have to do any of this if you just remove the tranny from the bell housing first. Then you can get every bell housing bolt with a small extension. Why pull the intake off, and spend the extra time and have to worry about the intake gaskets, and cutting your hands up on the little pins underneath the wiper cowel.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Banned

i didn't know that the manual could be separated from the bell housing before it was taken off i thought it was the automatic were you have to pull the trany to get it off on a auto it is a lot easier to take the intake off then use several extinctions with a swivel

Quick Reply: Trans Removal Tips?