General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

TA Headlight problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA Headlight problem...

I have an '01 WS6 and yesterday I noticed when I armed the alarm the headlights popped up and then went right back down. When they went down the motor(s) continued to grind as though they were still moving the headlamps. I've noticed that just locking the car without the use of arming the alram produced the same results. I locked by hand...shut the door, and the lights pop up again and grind away. I know a few more times and I will be replacing gears as well as motors. I CAN NOT afford this right now! Anyone have any answers/solutions?!?! Maybe an alarm fuse I didn't find that can be pulled? Thanks...
Old 08-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Sticky: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html
Old 08-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

The sticky works! Go there.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude thats freakin wierd seems like some of your wires got tangled(touching eachother) does your fog lights go on also when u hit the alarm
Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 PM

ya i've known about the stripped headlight gear and the 180 degree spin fix for longer than i've had my car. it's not that. i can open and close them with no problems. they don't make anymore noise than the day i drove it off of the car lot. it's weird in that seems to be associated with a security feature. i say that because i locked my door by hand (meaning i slid the locking mechanism over by hand and not pushing any buttons) and when i shut the door the lamps popped up and back down and started grinding away. i'm puzzled. i hate s**t like this. i have no idea what it is or where to take it that will know what they are doing. im on my 3rd rearend and i can just about tell you to the mile about how much life is left in it but electrical crap...forget it. again, ANY help will be appreciated.

p.s. sorry to have posted a tech Q in a general discussion forum...
Old 08-28-2007, 03:43 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The sticky in the Pontiac Firebird forum (linked above) covers more than just the gear issues.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HELRAZR
ya i've known about the stripped headlight gear and the 180 degree spin fix for longer than i've had my car. it's not that. i can open and close them with no problems. they don't make anymore noise than the day i drove it off of the car lot. it's weird in that seems to be associated with a security feature. i say that because i locked my door by hand (meaning i slid the locking mechanism over by hand and not pushing any buttons) and when i shut the door the lamps popped up and back down and started grinding away. i'm puzzled. i hate s**t like this. i have no idea what it is or where to take it that will know what they are doing. im on my 3rd rearend and i can just about tell you to the mile about how much life is left in it but electrical crap...forget it. again, ANY help will be appreciated.

p.s. sorry to have posted a tech Q in a general discussion forum...
Swapping the gear around 180 degrees will solve all of your problems. Mine did the EXACT same thing. Honks once and then the lights go up and down and make the grrrrrrrrrrr noise?
Do the fix. Takes 10 minutes and solves it completely!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Default gears

there used to be a guy on the net that sold brass gears to put in the head lights, i dont remember the link
Old 08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

mine started doing it after i got my HID kit... weird
Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by kyemt
there used to be a guy on the net that sold brass gears to put in the head lights, i dont remember the link
Look in the Sticky.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 PM

thanks for all the support...i will try the gear rotation fix. i have only one question and do not take this as being doubtful or anything...i'm only curious. why would it do it only in the locking or arming "stage" and not during regular use? again, i'm trust you guys know your stuff, it just doesn't make any sence. again, thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by HELRAZR
why would it do it only in the locking or arming "stage" and not during regular use?
Like the pasta sauce... its in there.
(check the sticky)
Old 10-16-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just spreading the word as I just found out about these. HELP (motormite, Dorman) makes a replacement plastic headlight gear for about 15 bucks. Autozone can order them, but it may take a few days to get them in. Part # 42400.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...tegory_list=:0